13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in love with this one’s little face 😍 Might have to name her Dot! With the little black dots under her eyes 😁

Attachments

• D586CCC9-C829-4389-A607-BB150B7081CE.jpeg
    D586CCC9-C829-4389-A607-BB150B7081CE.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 2
So it looks like alot were quitters after lockdown 😞. Most are hatched two more alive ones to go one pip the other is still moving in thw egg. I had one that looked to be shrink wrapped inside the egg. (Never seen this before. Opened to check and it took a couple last breaths but nothing I could do to many veins to open the membrane to save it. So sad. That kind of stuff is the bad part of hatching. I will have to post pics of these cuties though. So many unique colors we got out of the thw flock this year. Hubby even said he may have to build another coop because they are so cute... he is finally coming around to the chicken math side of things.. hehe

Ummm one externally pipped, but on the wrong end! Is there anything we can or should do?

SIT ON YOUR HANDS MAM! 😆 😘
I already answered in the other thread but just in case you see this first. NO TOUCHY! lol

When you see a pip at the opposite end of the egg it's easy to get concerned and feel like they're taking too long to hatch because they actually ARE taking longer to hatch from external pip to zip.

Normally a chick will pip internally prior to making the external pip, but when your chick pips in the opposite end of the egg it's making both the internal and external pip in one go. So it's literally taking twice as long for that chick to hatch but it needs this time to absorb the yolk and blood vessels prior to hatching.

They rarely need any assistance hatching. It is considered a malposition but now that you see the external pip the hardest part for this chick is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom