14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm addicted. It's been years since I hatched anything and now both my husband and I are watching the Chick Cam all day at work 🤣
2CAA8E3B4907_1681257693145.jpg

No pipe yet and all’s quiet in both incubators. Hoping for something to start overnight.
Get some sleep while you can! Mine is just winding down and I’ve probably had 3 hours sleep in the last 24 hours. Set 30 eggs. Dropped one and cracked it and it died. But ive got one hatching and one DIS I’m afraid. Out of 30, I will have after this one hatches 28 chicks. 🤯

Happy hatching! So many pretty chickies!

Boy what a weekend! So, I had #4,#5, &#6 hatch within an hour the same time Saturday night, after I'd given up staring at them, and then later that night #7.
#8....boy, that one. I waited until 12 pm Sunday and decided to take everything/chicks up to my moms (took unhatched one in the incubator, plugged into my car). My plan was, if it wasn't hatched by the time I had to leave I was going to take a bantam broody with me and pop the egg under her. Her turn to babysit, eh?

I checked egg at 3 PM, it had finally externally pipped! Then a bit later I was thinking I ought to put the unhatched egg under the momma so she could hear it and get to know it, and she'd go into active momma mode faster (I should have tucked them under the momma at night, they were in "sit on eggs" mode for several hours, but I wouldn't be able to be there to observe the next day). So I get in there, 3:45 PM and I hear peeping, and that little bugger had hatched out! I rushed the little one out to put under the momma, and it was happy. So much for my hatched plan.

Final count was 8 out of 10 eggs, 4 bantams, 2 standard, 2 giant) and I am expecting two more chicks this Saturday/Sunday, they are under Anger Hen. She killed my hands really good when I candled the eggs Sunday. I never learn. My mom says she doesn't even try to put her hand anywhere over there, even to collect the other hens eggs.

I had two quitters, I did eggtopsy Sunday morning. One was full term, and even absorbed the yolk, but malpositioned. Head between feet not under wing. :/ The other looked like it had passed a day or so before, big yolk still. I though I'd seen movement, but it was just the contents shifting from when I turned it. You can kind of tell by how the veins start to look too, like they are getting blurry.

Updates from my mom are they are in Active Momma Mode now (I could see it sort of start when I was up there, they were starting with the momma cluckings), and the chicks are all doing well. I am suffering empty nest syndrome though.

Attachments

• 7 4.9.23 Chantillys chick.jpg
    7 4.9.23 Chantillys chick.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 6 4.9.23 QT Pies chick.jpg
    6 4.9.23 QT Pies chick.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5 4.9.23 Glimmers chick.jpg
    5 4.9.23 Glimmers chick.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 4.9.23 Joisies chick.jpg
    4 4.9.23 Joisies chick.jpg