1st time with sick chicken

Good, you've got the Corid dosing right. Continue the Corid water for the whole flock and the undiluted Corid for another two days, one day if she's been getting the drench drops for two days already.

Put her back with her biddies. She'll do better. There's no reason to separate a sick chicken unless they are being abused by the others.

Corid water must be the sole water source for five days. Then take a week off from it and do it again for five more days. Corid blocks thiamine, a B-vitamin, so when the flock is finished with the Corid, give them a B-complex for a few days to bring their levels back up again.

Yes, heat stress can take a few days to recover from. It does no harm to treat for it even if it's not what's going on.

Corid Liquid Dose is 2tsp per gallon of water or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.
She should be drinking the mixed Corid water as the sole source of water throughout the day.
Direct oral dose of undiluted liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight. This is in addition to her drinking as much of the mixed water that she can throughout the day.
Cut out the vinegar.

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Her crop looks a bit puffy.

Photos of the poop please.

Black on the comb looks like very minor scab and it's not something I would worry about, it will heal up and fall off in time.

Corid Liquid Dose is 2tsp per gallon of water or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days.
She should be drinking the mixed Corid water as the sole source of water throughout the day.
Direct oral dose of undiluted liquid Corid is .10ml per pound of weight. This is in addition to her drinking as much of the mixed water that she can throughout the day.
Cut out the vinegar.

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Her crop looks a bit puffy.

Black on the comb looks like very minor scab and it's not something I would worry about, it will heal up and fall off in time.
Corid dosages you listed is exactly what I'm doing (the liquid one). We have not put any vinegar in her water at all.

I thought the same thing about her crop and maybe I don't know what I'm feeling but every time I touch it, it is very soft...not hard at all. What would I do if her crop isn't emptying?

We put her back in with her friends last night (they have accepted her back into the flock very easily) so I don't have a current picture of her poop. It was solid olive green with the white cap on it when she was in the pen by herself. If I can catch her pooping later I'll try to grab a picture.

She is still all hunched up today and walking around the pen slowly (she will run if something scares her or if I'm in there coming close). After awhile she will lay down and go to sleep then do it all over again. She is drinking the Corid water and eating (just not scratching and foraging like a normal chicken).

Is it ok to put electrolytes in the Corid water? I don't want to undo the Corid but it is also hot here so I want to make sure they are not suffering either.

As long as the electrolytes have no vitamins in them, it should be fine to put in the Corid water. Beware of electrolytes for too many days running unless it's very hot.

Cut out the vinegar.

This is not at all what her poop has been looking like since the 4th of July, but I'm pretty sure this one was from here just a few seconds ago.

Attachments

• 20220709_192421.jpg
    20220709_192421.jpg
    728.2 KB · Views: 3
I thought the same thing about her crop and maybe I don't know what I'm feeling but every time I touch it, it is very soft...not hard at all. What would I do if her crop isn't emptying?

Is it ok to put electrolytes in the Corid water? I don't want to undo the Corid but it is also hot here so I want to make sure they are not suffering either.
The poop doesn't look too bad, it looks like cecal poop.

Personally, I would not add electrolytes to the Corid water, just Corid in the water.

You will want to feel her crop when she goes to roost, it should feel like there's a bulge from food/water. Then feel the crop again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be flat/empty. This is the best way to determine if the crop is emptying like it should.

The poop doesn't look too bad, it looks like cecal poop.

Personally, I would not add electrolytes to the Corid water, just Corid in the water.

You will want to feel her crop when she goes to roost, it should feel like there's a bulge from food/water. Then feel the crop again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, the crop should be flat/empty. This is the best way to determine if the crop is emptying like it should.
I didn't see your post until really late last night so I didn't take their food out of their coop. We caught her this morning (she is fast!) and her crop felt hard (it has never felt like that before it has always been squishy when I have felt it the last few days). We put her in a crate so she has no access to food to make sure she empties today. Since she has gotten into this posture with no neck sticking out she has had that lump there which made me concerned about her crop in the beginning but it always felt squishy so I didn't think it was a problem and just assumed it was from her neck being down and pushing it outwards. Now that I know about sour crop, I may try that. What are your recommendations for fixing that?

Back
Top Bottom