2 Roosters, 5 hens, 7 pullets

So, 35 hens/pullets to 3 cockerels/Roos. ~ a 12:1 ratio. As long as everyone acts right and they’ve got space to get away from each other, sounds like a plan.
We are in the throws of puberty with the 4 month old, so the boys have their moments. For the most part though, they all take their jobs very seriously so I am convinced they will be lovely roosters when they mature.

Would 141sf work? I did the math for adding a back section that’s a little longer than the back of the coop, and it came out to that.
These numbers are all rough estimates. The behavior of the individual birds is going to make a huge difference. As will other things like coop setup, possible additions to the coop for entertainment (hanging cabbage, stuff like that), etc.

That said, the more space the better, but 64 coop, plus 141 run, means 15.8 sq ft for 13 birds, 14.6 for 14 birds. This is a bit over most of the “recommended minimum space” recommendations. Key word, minimum. Again, your results may vary.

Would 141sf work? I did the math for adding a back section that’s a little longer than the back of the coop, and it came out to that.

These numbers are all rough estimates. The behavior of the individual birds is going to make a huge difference. As will other things like coop setup, possible additions to the coop for entertainment (hanging cabbage, stuff like that), etc.

That said, the more space the better, but 64 coop, plus 141 run, means 15.8 sq ft for 13 birds, 14.6 for 14 birds. This is a bit over most of the “recommended minimum space” recommendations. Key word, minimum. Again, your results may vary.
^ This. It may be enough, it may not. Assuming you don't see behavioral issues, you have "enough" - if anything starts popping up, reassessing number of birds and space and quality of space are some of the first things to consider.

Oh dear, you are in a predicament. You have a group of birds that are not likely to create a good flock, and will probably have a great deal of strife if you do not use some animal husbandry strategies. Chickens are not like puppies and you have to be selective to as which birds your put together, or it can get VERY UGLY.

I think that you are beginning to come out of the darling stage with your cockerel chicks. This happens, cockerels tend to be very brave, and often approach people in what seems like a very friendly manner, but is actually the first signs that they have no fear (which seems like a good idea, but isn't in chickens) and translates to they do not have any respect for people.

This 'friendliness' tends to make people love them, and be horrified at the idea of culling them. They are a lot of fun in the darling stage. But around 12-16 weeks, the hormones begin to hit hard, and this changes the bird. It is not the bird that you had just a few days ago. I think that this is where you are, because all of a sudden you must be seeing possible problems, and would like to prevent that. That is the problem.

Being raised together has no influence at all with cockerels. The more cockerels that you have, the greater the chance of it not working out. Young cockerels in a flock of just flock mates cause a lot of problems and strife. They are ready to breed 4-8 WEEKS before the pullets are.

They BOTH need to be separated from the pullets. They are bigger than the pullets, and without older hens to knock some manners into them, they just become bullies. Sometimes they can wear pullets out, literally killing them, keeping them from enough water and food. If your pullets are hiding, loosing feathers, running constantly, do at least remove your cockerels from them ASAP.

Secondly they can attack each other. Sometimes this is a once and done, sometimes they will fight to the death, and a lot of time this is a constantly ongoing thing with battles daily. Again being raised together has no influence on this. This cause a lot of strife in the flock, and is upsetting to your other birds.

Thirdly - they can attack people. Inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster attack. If you have children under the age of 6, I strongly recommend removing them from your flock. They tend to attack children first, and small children at the face and head level. Then they will take on women, and eventually even men. They will scratch, bite, and flog. They can knock a child down. At best it is unpleasant, at worst it can leave scars, and ruin this hobby forever.

Your older birds will be aggressive to your chicks. They too may be aggressive enough to kill them. You can integrate them into the flock, around 4 weeks, but you need a lot of space, and you need a safety zone in which the bigger birds cannot follow them. The meat bird will not do anything to protect them.

Do make some changes to the flock. They really are not like puppies and kittens where being raised together tend to work it out. I can see from your remark on the meat birds, that you probably do not want to cull and eat the birds, however, you really do need to either set up a way to separate the boys and girls for at least 2 months. And make a plan on how to either give away the cockerels or dispatch them if needed. Realistically, there is a very large chance that neither cockerel will be a pet like bird, many attack people. Getting a plan on how you will manage that now will be of help.

Mrs K
I think you are being a little bit extreme. All roosters and hens don't act that way. I have a roo that eats out of my hand and is gentle as can be. The other roo is afraid of me. The first is the alpha. They have little skirmishes but not too serious. They each have their own hens pretty much. There are 14 hens. No bloodshed or attacking people.

Oh dear, you are in a predicament. You have a group of birds that are not likely to create a good flock, and will probably have a great deal of strife if you do not use some animal husbandry strategies. Chickens are not like puppies and you have to be selective to as which birds your put together, or it can get VERY UGLY.

I think that you are beginning to come out of the darling stage with your cockerel chicks. This happens, cockerels tend to be very brave, and often approach people in what seems like a very friendly manner, but is actually the first signs that they have no fear (which seems like a good idea, but isn't in chickens) and translates to they do not have any respect for people.

This 'friendliness' tends to make people love them, and be horrified at the idea of culling them. They are a lot of fun in the darling stage. But around 12-16 weeks, the hormones begin to hit hard, and this changes the bird. It is not the bird that you had just a few days ago. I think that this is where you are, because all of a sudden you must be seeing possible problems, and would like to prevent that. That is the problem.

Being raised together has no influence at all with cockerels. The more cockerels that you have, the greater the chance of it not working out. Young cockerels in a flock of just flock mates cause a lot of problems and strife. They are ready to breed 4-8 WEEKS before the pullets are.

They BOTH need to be separated from the pullets. They are bigger than the pullets, and without older hens to knock some manners into them, they just become bullies. Sometimes they can wear pullets out, literally killing them, keeping them from enough water and food. If your pullets are hiding, loosing feathers, running constantly, do at least remove your cockerels from them ASAP.

Secondly they can attack each other. Sometimes this is a once and done, sometimes they will fight to the death, and a lot of time this is a constantly ongoing thing with battles daily. Again being raised together has no influence on this. This cause a lot of strife in the flock, and is upsetting to your other birds.

Thirdly - they can attack people. Inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster attack. If you have children under the age of 6, I strongly recommend removing them from your flock. They tend to attack children first, and small children at the face and head level. Then they will take on women, and eventually even men. They will scratch, bite, and flog. They can knock a child down. At best it is unpleasant, at worst it can leave scars, and ruin this hobby forever.

Your older birds will be aggressive to your chicks. They too may be aggressive enough to kill them. You can integrate them into the flock, around 4 weeks, but you need a lot of space, and you need a safety zone in which the bigger birds cannot follow them. The meat bird will not do anything to protect them.

Do make some changes to the flock. They really are not like puppies and kittens where being raised together tend to work it out. I can see from your remark on the meat birds, that you probably do not want to cull and eat the birds, however, you really do need to either set up a way to separate the boys and girls for at least 2 months. And make a plan on how to either give away the cockerels or dispatch them if needed. Realistically, there is a very large chance that neither cockerel will be a pet like bird, many attack people. Getting a plan on how you will manage that now will be of help.

Mrs K
Good advise I add to divide my enclosure from my almost 4 months old 6 Red pullets and my 21 mixed 3 weeks younger flock. I have 6 mature hens and the 6 Red are afraid of them, but those 6 Red can be territorial and meani to my younger flock so I let them scialize but eventually when they get too bully I send them to their section.

How old are the younger birds?

You're looking at needing to set up a see but don't touch integration area for the younger ones for a few weeks, to start.

Incidentally you don't have hens or roosters, at 3 months old you only have pullets and cockerels. Pullets aren't going to raise chicks and I wouldn't risk attempting something like that, it'd be like expecting a 8 year old to raise babies.
My Roosters are trying to kill the younger ones. I have chickens that are 1 month apart and they do not get along. I have 3 chicks 3-4 weeks old and I keep them separate also.

Pegasus667 -​

How old are your birds? And probably the most important question, how much space do you have? 14 hens as in full grown or 14 pullets? All of these show the different ways to raise up birds.

You are correct, you can get it to work, until it doesn't. If you have multiple roosters you do need a plan B. If you never need to use it, you are lucky. How roosters are acting today, is really no indicator how they will act next week unless they are over a year old.

Mrs K

Pegasus667 -​

How old are your birds? And probably the most important question, how much space do you have? 14 hens as in full grown or 14 pullets? All of these show the different ways to raise up birds.

You are correct, you can get it to work, until it doesn't. If you have multiple roosters you do need a plan B. If you never need to use it, you are lucky. How roosters are acting today, is really no indicator how they will act next week unless they are over a year old.

Mrs K The roosters are going on 4 months old. I am selling or giving away the roosters. Last count I have 11 roosters
I'm not sure why you quoted me? My advice was for the OP.
Sorry. Didn’t mean to. I’m new to this site.

Back
Top Bottom