2 Week old chick having problems with sleeping, sitting, eating, drinking, and breathing

eskrr

Hatching
Nov 16, 2015
Hi guys, first time poster here.

We hatched some chicks ourselves two weeks ago for the first time and they've all been pretty good up until now where one of them is having problems with sleeping, sitting, eating, drinking, and breathing.

Video of the issues: Baby Chick Having Problems

It only started two days ago and I haven't been able to find any direct information regarding the symptoms on here or anywhere else of the internet so figured I need to ask.

As you can see in the video the little one wants to sleep but doesn't want to sit down. He has started occasionally sitting down and sleeping now, but due to his heavy open-mouth breathing he can't get any solid sleep in. His condition has definitely improved since two days ago as before he would only sleep standing up until his head slowly tips over then back up he gets. Rinsed and repeated.

We've tried massaging his throat down to the crop but that doesn't help. We've also tried giving a little olive oil with a dropper but that just passed right through. He also doesn't eat or drink as much as the others, though he has started eating a bit, his lack of drinking is still a bit worrying. We have been feeding them chick starter.

They have been in an enclosed, clean environment with daily/two-day cleaning of the brooder.

We'd really appreciate any knowledge that anyone has on the matter, we definitely don't want anything to happen to him.

Thanks for reading!

We've tried massaging his throat down to the crop but that doesn't help. We've also tried giving a little olive oil with a dropper but that just passed right through. He also doesn't eat or drink as much as the others, though he has started eating a bit, his lack of drinking is still a bit worrying. We have been feeding them chick starter.
What it the temp of your brooder? Can the chicks get out from under the light? They only need one spot that is warm, while the rest of the brooder is cooler. You mention massaging his crop-does it feel hard, soft, empty? Is the chick pooping, what does it look like? You may want to give it NutriDrench or Sav-a-Chick. He may be having a hard time with the crumbles, you can make a "mash" but mixing warm water with some crumbles and see if he will eat that better.

What it the temp of your brooder? Can the chicks get out from under the light? They only need one spot that is warm, while the rest of the brooder is cooler. You mention massaging his crop-does it feel hard, soft, empty? Is the chick pooping, what does it look like? You may want to give it NutriDrench or Sav-a-Chick. He may be having a hard time with the crumbles, you can make a "mash" but mixing warm water with some crumbles and see if he will eat that better.

We aren't sure of actual temperatures, however, there are warm and cool sides. As they are now two weeks old we have eased up on direct heat placing it further away, but the chicks seem to be comfortable in the current set up. We adjust the heat lamp depending on temperature in the house (as it is becoming Summer here in Australia), and there behaviour. They don't pant or excessively huddle up.

His crop is soft, a bit of the empty side, however, his poop is fairly normal. We have previously mixed crushed starter with water but is much the same response as dry starter. The other chicks go bonkers for starter softened with water. His eating probably isn't as bad anymore, as they happily eat from my hand whenever I offer, but drinking is a different story as I don't see him drink as often or as much as the others.

SIDE NOTE: He has started sitting and sleeping now, but his breathing through his mouth breaks makes it uncomfortable for him and the others.

It's possible he may have some type of respiratory illness, but I do not know enough about that to say one way or the other.
If he is eating better, I would give wet mash just because this may help keep him hydrated if he is still not drinking. I am sure you have looked to see if his nostrils are clear -they can get crumbles stuck in there and you don't see anything in his throat. Does he run around with the others at all or is active and then has to stop and breath.
My flock goes bonkers over wet feed as well. I make a pan a couple of times a week and they think I have brought them something magical, wonderful and oh so yummy
droolin.gif

Sorry! Was meaning to reply earlier but got caught up.

He's doing much better now. I had a look at his nostrils when it first happened and again when you mentioned it and that seems fine.

He seems to be pretty up to scratch now, eating, drinking, and messing around with the rest. Not sure what the problem was. I gave them some glorious wet feed last night as well and they went through it pretty fast, all of them. He does occasionally open his mouth and breath, as well as stand up and sleep, but there are also times where he's normal like the rest. Today was pretty good as his breathing eased or stopped completely through his mouth. He may possibly have some respiratory issues as it has eased to an on/off scenario but won't really know till later.

Will continue to check on him for the next few days but I think it should be alright now.

Just for reference, you asked if he ran around and then stopped and took a few breaths; he was actually very lazy, you could say, so he wasn't messing around like the others, however, there were times when breathing his whole body would expand and shrink with each breath, signifying deep breaths, unlike soft, gentle breaths as they should.

Will post up again in a few days with progress. Thanks for your help @Wyorp Rock

Our little (now actually kinda big) is all better. Has been all good since last post. Probably something stuck in their airways or throat that made its way through.

Our little (now actually kinda big) is all better. Has been all good since last post. Probably something stuck in their airways or throat that made its way through.
Hi!

I am hoping you see this as I know the post is very old! I am having the same issue with one on my chicks and it breaks my heart to see her Like this. ( I say her with some wishful thinking, she may be a he!). Anyhow, did you guy pull through to adulthood? It has been 3 days and she seems to be eating less. I do give her water to help because I don't always see her at the water dish, but she wants to be with the others and does snuggle with them whenever possible, but they are all getting very active and she is, like you said lazy. Probably very tired from the lack of sleep. Did you just give them the mash and it helped or were you doing anything else? I really want to see her pull through.

Back
Top Bottom