2 week old chick, victim of chicken attack (I think), missing lots of skin

csnail

Chirping
Apr 17, 2017
Encinitas, CA
This happened yesterday afternoon sometime, and treatment started within an hour or two (I believe) of injury.

PXL_20220316_224817832.jpg

Injuries between wings on back, 'shoulder' of left wing and either side of the base of the tail. Skin completely gone in those area, can see muscle. No apparent puncture wounds. Wounds have been cleaned and Vetericyn applied. Chick is in cat carrier sitting partially on a heating pad for warmth, in a quiet location. She is eating, drinking and pooping normally, quiet but alert. Wounds appeared dry this morning, and more vetericyn applied. Maybe I should've reapplied vetericyn during the night to keep it moist?

I had moved the chicks out to the big coop to brood, (my first time raising chicks) and things went great the first night and the chicks love the sunshine. The hens (4 of them) cannot get into the brood area, and I thought the chicks could not get out, when I found her she was in the brooder area with the others. The other chicks were not going after her. Anyway, I'm wondering what her chances are?

She'll heal up fast. Just clean it, & keep it moist. You can use non pain Relieving Triple Antibiotic ointment for the wound to stay moist, & heal properly.

Final update on the little Barred Rock that was injured. I used a cat carrier with some old toweling in the bottom as chickie hospital, and put heating pad under the back third of the carrier to help her stay warm. I put Vetericyn everywhere the skin was missing. I made mash with some chick starter and added a few drops of Nutri drench, and put a few drops in her water too. The next morning, the chick seemed perkier, but the Vetericyn had dried out, so I switched to triple acting antibiotic ointment (non pain relieving). I may have been overly generous in applying the ointment, as the heat from her body made the ointment run down onto her sides and plaster her down feathers to her body. I was worried she'd have trouble staying warm. So the next day I made a warm saline solution, put it in a small syringe and used that to wash her down. She seemed to enjoy her bath, and started preening after I dried her off.

The entire time she was inside she missed her chick flock, and was very vocal when left alone. Her appetite was good, she was active, and I could see skin growing back so I put her back in the brooder with the others, and watched to see if the other chicks would peck at the wound. They completely ignored the wound and everyone was happy to be back together. I was amazed at how quickly the skin grew back, and I'm even seeing feather regrowth where I was sure no feathers would ever grow again. I don't see her raise her tail as high as the others, and so far I don't see her use her oil gland when she preens. Otherwise she is healthy and spunky and still enjoys my company. PXL_20220410_014853369.jpg

Back
Top Bottom