2 Weeks Old

Melissacoop

Chirping
Jul 8, 2018
Pembroke Pines, FL
I have 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Americana’s. I got them at 5 days old and have had them for eight days now. My husband, son, and I have held our babies everyday but they still are not crazy about being picked up. They do settle down when you hold them but they don’t really come running to us. Since we live in South Florida and it is 90 degrees outside we just went right to keeping them outside on the patio in an enclosure. Then during the day we have a covered pen in the yard that we keep them in so they are kinda free running around in a 3x5 pen. They are extremely active and eating and drinking and happy. We love to sit and watch them. They do respond to our voice. I just wish they would eat out of my hand and want to be picked up. I was wondering if maybe because they’ve been outside from the start and not inside if they’re not as bonded with us?? We pick them up constantly and talk to them. We just love them!

Attachments

• 310F21CB-18B5-4394-895A-5D5251F6A885.jpeg
    310F21CB-18B5-4394-895A-5D5251F6A885.jpeg
    503.1 KB · Views: 10
  • D17DF2D9-FDB7-48AD-9CDE-8F608E55257B.jpeg
    D17DF2D9-FDB7-48AD-9CDE-8F608E55257B.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 10
I have 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Americana’s. I got them at 5 days old and have had them for eight days now. My husband, son, and I have held our babies everyday but they still are not crazy about being picked up. They do settle down when you hold them but they don’t really come running to us. Since we live in South Florida and it is 90 degrees outside we just went right to keeping them outside on the patio in an enclosure. Then during the day we have a covered pen in the yard that we keep them in so they are kinda free running around in a 3x5 pen. They are extremely active and eating and drinking and happy. We love to sit and watch them. They do respond to our voice. I just wish they would eat out of my hand and want to be picked up. I was wondering if maybe because they’ve been outside from the start and not inside if they’re not as bonded with us?? We pick them up constantly and talk to them. We just love them!
Cute cute!!! Welcome to BYC!

I have found talking to them and sitting with them, they will come to you. Their very nosey!!! Every time I go into their run and sit on the bench...here they come. They get on the bench too!! If we are working in the coop, they all come in to see what we are doing! Try putting some feed in a container and calling them while shaking it. Then give them some. They know when I say Chick, chick, chick...I’ve got food!

These are some of my new Isbars

2B8A44F1-2254-44D8-B0C8-BA39DF9238FB.jpeg
A5A01C0A-11D5-4DAF-8EFC-77AD804C0F48.jpeg
I have found talking to them and sitting with them, they will come to you. Their very nosey!!! Every time I go into their run and sit on the bench...here they come. They get on the bench too!! If we are working in the coop, they all come in to see what we are doing! Try putting some feed in a container and calling them while shaking it. Then give them some. They know when I say Chick, chick, chick...I’ve got food!

Lol!! I do that same thing, “chick chick chick!!” They come a-running. Happy happy chick chicks. Just got a new bag of mealworms and my goodness you would have thought that they had been starved for days.

I just wish they would eat out of my hand and want to be picked up. I was wondering if maybe because they’ve been outside from the start and not inside if they’re not as bonded with us??

Most chicks don't like being picked up, their instincts tell them to fear something suddenly reaching down and grabbing them.

I will say the chicks I brooded outside this time seem a lot friendlier than the ones we raised indoors. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the outdoor brooder opens from the side, instead of from the top, so we appear less threatening.

I fed mine mealworms from my hand. They don't necessarily like being picked up but since doing that for about 2 week it's definitely easier to pick them up. Once they start recognizing you with treats they'll run to you. Chicks will instinctly think that that hand reaching down to grab them is a hawk; so don't worry about that. Give it time and they'll warm up to you. Whenever I walk out onto the screened in porch to check on them I say, "Hi babies!" or something along those lines to get them used to my voice.

Back
Top Bottom