20 wk old Araucana - Hen or Rooster??? (pics)

pestenz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 25, 2014
I have a 20 week old Araucana "hen", and there has been crowing the last couple of mornings! The hen was sold to me as female by a reputable breeder at 14 weeks of age. The crowing is a bit croaky though.

I believe Araucanas are difficult to sex, but surely it would be quite obvious that it is a rooster at 20 weeks, right?
No spurs, and not a huge comb/wattle (i attach pictures).

Please advise if it's just a confused hen (it's quite a bossy chicken - fluffing feathers, chasing the other chickens, etc), or maybe hormonal imbalance? Or is it really a rooster/cockerel?

If it's a hen, what can i do to stop this behaviour?

(It's a UK-type Araucana, so not a rumpless variety. I live in New Zealand).

Last edited:
Hi there,

Let me preface this by saying that I am not familiar with this breed at all, so I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert!

What does concern me about your chicken (aside from the possible crowing) is that it looks like it has the beginnings of some saddle feathers coming in, a trait which is usually attributed to males only.

As I said - I am not familiar with this breed at all - so maybe your chicken's feathering is completely normal for a female Araucana....?

Please don't go and give your chicken away based in my opinion though!

I would recommend posting these same pictures on the "What Breed or Gender Is This?" Board. I am sure the good folk there will give you a prompt, reliable response.

I am crossing all my fingers for you, and will be very interested to see everyone's opinions. Good luck!

- Krista

Last edited:
Anyone? I live in area where I'm not allowed to have a rooster, it needs to go back if it is a rooster. Need advice!

I have 4 hens only, no roosters. Behaviour included wing flapping (when let out to roam free), jumping on the other hens (though not mating, just agressively jumping), chasing the other chickens around, puffing feathers.

The "crowing" was a bit croaky, and stopped when i let them out. It was at 6am.

Physically it looks like a pullet to me (though larger than the other chickens, but Araucanas grow quite fast i believe).
I can't see anything physically that looks like a cockerel (no saddle feathers, or hackle feathers)?

Hey, my hen is an only child and lays eggs so she is definitely a female. We have had her since days old so she does not have any behavior habits learned from other chickens. She crows like a rooster when she gets agitated and wants out of her tank or she gets shut in a room by herself. She had us worried too and did not lay an egg until she was close to 6 months old. Your hen's face looks like a female and she may just be showing her dominance in the pecking order :) I don't know what you can do about her yelling, but they do learn good and bad habits. If she is quiet when you let her out, maybe that is what she was trying to tell you? On behalf of her little flock, it is time to go out for the day? I hope you give her time to adjust if they all get along.

I have two roosters who are young, I have one americana, and I googled pictures of your breed, to me (I'm a noob to consider that) the chicken looks like a hen. From what I've noticed with americauna's and americanas, they kind of look like they have a wig, as in they have long thin feathers on their head and neck such as here http://paforumphotogallery.com/displayimage.php?pid=4849 And here is a picture of my americana rooster to refer to my wig reference. All my chickens flap their wings around and puff their feathers, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. Although I've only ever heard my other rooster make little croaking sounds. And like SesameChicken10 mentioned, she could just be showing dominance by her aggressive behavior. Some of my hens can be quite rude to the others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom