2014 New York Chickenstock

still only one frizzle ee out but the rest aren't even pipped, hope i don't end up with a singleton hatch again
idunno.gif

I've got chicks poppin out like popcorn now! Its about time! I turned up the temp on the cabinet bator, I'm assuming it was running low that's why my chicks were a little late. 30ish guineas go in lockdown on Wednesday!

So far my count is 6 Coronation Sussex, 7 Jersey Giants, and 9 Golden Cuckoo Marans, although one of them might not make it, something wrong with its neck and butt. One Jersey Giant is trying to hatch and the rest I think are quitters. Happy with the 20 healthy ones I have plus one or two more if they get on their feet and live.

By the way, who won the mystery cochins in the auction? The ones I hatched last month are almost completely feathered out and they are gorgeous. My hatch rate was 10/12 and I wondered how the eggs did for you.

I've got chicks poppin out like popcorn now! Its about time! I turned up the temp on the cabinet bator, I'm assuming it was running low that's why my chicks were a little late. 30ish guineas go in lockdown on Wednesday!

How are those other two chickens doing?

Everyone else- I put water in the hoop cool and closed it up with the sitting hens. Another egg broke and stank and the hen got up leaving a Marans egg that I tossed as it felt bad.

While I put another nest bucket in and there was a hen in it she got out and it's empty. There are two hens in one bucket.
barnie.gif

Looks like there is another broody in the large hoop coop. I'll candle eggs tonight, but it will be a miracle if any are good since it gets so hot in there. I've the fan going and I've uncovered the entire front except the door. Plus the back door is completely uncovered. Most of the plastic is gone too. Hoops need to be in the shade cuz they can get very hot. In the winter the large hoop is about 5 degrees warmer than the wooden coop.

I will putting the incu away for now.

Rancher, they are doing great. I just wish there was more than 2 but things happen. I must of forgot to tell you at the show at the fairgrounds I met Guy Roy. I don't know of you ever heard of him but he is a breeder of Plymouth Rocks. If you google his name you will find pics of his birds, they are gorgeous! His White Rock won best American at the show. Anyway I got his number and am going to be getting some BR eggs from him. I'm sure I'll have an extra roo for you if you're interested :)

Rancher, they are doing great. I just wish there was more than 2 but things happen. I must of forgot to tell you at the show at the fairgrounds I met Guy Roy. I don't know of you ever heard of him but he is a breeder of Plymouth Rocks. If you google his name you will find pics of his birds, they are gorgeous! His White Rock won best American at the show. Anyway I got his number and am going to be getting some BR eggs from him. I'm sure I'll have an extra roo for you if you're interested
smile.png

Of course I'm interested. I'm sure I can work with you on them. trade eggs/chicks whatever. Where is he located? How much are his eggs?

How are those other two chickens doing?

Everyone else- I put water in the hoop cool and closed it up with the sitting hens. Another egg broke and stank and the hen got up leaving a Marans egg that I tossed as it felt bad.

While I put another nest bucket in and there was a hen in it she got out and it's empty. There are two hens in one bucket.
barnie.gif

Looks like there is another broody in the large hoop coop. I'll candle eggs tonight, but it will be a miracle if any are good since it gets so hot in there. I've the fan going and I've uncovered the entire front except the door. Plus the back door is completely uncovered. Most of the plastic is gone too. Hoops need to be in the shade cuz they can get very hot. In the winter the large hoop is about 5 degrees warmer than the wooden coop.

I will putting the incu away for now.

Well I candled and pulled a lot of eggs out of the side coop. They were no good. Don't know why and I suspect there are a few more. I may just pull them all and say to heck with it. These stupid hens. I have no idea why there not doing good. They are fertile. At least some of them have to be. I pulled the entire front cover off so that my cool things a bit. Note to self wear long sleeves. Lord have mercy and Help me Jesus some of those birds can bite hard. Nearly lost my salvation. (that means swore)

I emptied out the inside yard half hoop to move chicks from basement, but was nervous seeing the size spaces of the doors, so put them in bin brooders in back room without heat lights. They survived the night. Chicks make to much noise, peeping and IMM ( in my mind) attract preds.

Well enjoy the day if I don't get back on today.

Last edited:
Lavender Festival coming up in July.

Oh and if you've not been, there is a good place to eat, called "Pumpkin Hill" in Aurora. We then like to walk through McKenzie Childs and wish we had money to afford it. They have a beautiful gate I'd like but at $1,000 it's out of my range by about $900.
lau.gif
Nice way to spend a day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom