2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I cleaned the incubator well. I put the 7 viable eggs in the clean homemade incubator. They were all in the LG (likely infected) incubator together so I'm hoping they aren't infected. I took pictures and will share them later. The 4 Brabanters look great ontheir Day 8. I have 1 Lav Am, 1 Barnevelder, and 1 BCM left that look ok on their Day 11.
no advice just wishing you well

How are the eggs? What did you end up doing? Hoping things are okay there....

I was going to message you. So far so good I have a new humidifier on it's way. I put them in a little giant incubator this Morning. Candles last night, 5 viable, 4 maybe, 2 blood eggs. And I dropped one and it exploded. Felt so bad, I killed a chicken.

So day 5, I decided to candle an egg that was questionable to set in the first place. When marking air cells prior to set, this ones air cell was just a bunch of little air bubbles that moved along the shell as I moved it. I decided to set it, figuring I would end up chucking it. Today I checked it. The air cell still is a bunch of little bubbles, but it is developing. It'll probably never make lock down, but it's cool that it has developed.

These eggs are a backyard mix out of my own chickens. The chickens are older (2 1/2) won't be with us much longer. Any ideas what would cause that?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm just curious what you would call this type of air cell (or lack there of)

Yes, clean the incubator--I use lysol all purpose cleaner. You can also let it sit in the sun for an hour--kills a lot of germs that way.
I have to laugh about something today, and this helps. I'm in upstate NY. The sun has peaked through the rainclouds once for about 15 minutes today (I may be exaggerating). We are expecting high temps in the 40s this weekend. My hopes for sun killing germs (which I totally agree would help) are put off until June. May if we're lucky.

I have a request. Please keep this board as a discussion about how to hatch chickens and Halloween. I'm beginning to get uncomfortable with the religious discussion and am considering leaving the Hatch Along.
Does anyone have any advice on how to treat my remaining 7 eggs? Yes I'm down to 7 from 24.

X2

I have to laugh about something today, and this helps. I'm in upstate NY. The sun has peaked through the rainclouds once for about 15 minutes today (I may be exaggerating). We are expecting high temps in the 40s this weekend. My hopes for sun killing germs (which I totally agree would help) are put off until June. May if we're lucky.

I would like to share some of our sun with you. We are getting baked. A germ doesn't stand a chance outside here! We are supposedly in for El Nino rain and everyone is preparing for it, but so far, I have seen about 15 drops of something wet from the sky this month.

I was going to message you. So far so good I have a new humidifier on it's way. I put them in a little giant incubator this Morning. Candles last night, 5 viable, 4 maybe, 2 blood eggs. And I dropped one and it exploded. Felt so bad, I killed a chicken.

Awww.. I've dropped them before and sometimes onto another egg, killing both... Horrible feeling!
That really stinks that you are dealing with shipped eggs and an incubator failure. Sounds like you managed it well though.
Let me know if you want me to rush more out to you.
hugs.gif

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm just curious what you would call this type of air cell (or lack there of) 

When I have gotten my shipped Serama eggs I get a couple that do this but I attributed that to tiny eggs in a shook up shipping box. After a while, they did develop & the bubbles stopped rolling around when the veins pretty much set them in place.
I don't know why an egg brought in from your yard would do it, though. Maybe your chickens are dropping them or having egg tossing contests out there :D

I would like to share some of our sun with you. We are getting baked. A germ doesn't stand a chance outside here! We are supposedly in for El Nino rain and everyone is preparing for it, but so far, I have seen about 15 drops of something wet from the sky this month.

I think I got your 15 drops up here yesterday. It "rained" about that much for maybe 5 minutes & the air smelled awful! Not like petrichor at all. :(

I have a request. Please keep this board as a discussion about how to hatch chickens and Halloween. I'm beginning to get uncomfortable with the religious discussion and am considering leaving the Hatch Along.
Does anyone have any advice on how to treat my remaining 7 eggs? Yes I'm down to 7 from 24.

I feel the need to be more clear. I'm only asking that the discussion about what "God" would want to end. I mean no disrespect to anyone or their belief system. @tracy I'm sincerely sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention. I'm simply more comfortable focusing on how to successfully get eggs to hatch. I'm personally struggling with this just as others here are. I want discussion. That's why we're here.
My shipped eggs/incubation issues have me hoping to get 100% of my remaining eggs to hatch while knowing that the odds are against it. I'm having a bad day. 7/24 left. I expected more - even with 15 of those being shipped. If I lose all of the shipped eggs I will cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom