2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

These are some of the larger air cells, what should I do about my humidity to make them slow down?

They do seem bigger since I'm candling them with an empty toilet paper roll to shrink the tip of the flashlight.

Last edited:
Third photo looks like a slightly more porous shell, don't make changes based on that egg. Mark the air cells, swap positions in your incubator with your smallest air cells, and check again in a couple of days.

Don't make changes based on the smallest or largest, or eggs that don't show growth. Use the middle 2/3 as your basis, whether weighing individual eggs or candling. Weighing full trays is the most accurate way to determine proper moisture loss.

Third photo looks like a slightly more porous shell, don't make changes based on that egg. Mark the air cells, swap positions in your incubator with your smallest air cells, and check again in a couple of days.

Don't make changes based on the smallest or largest, or eggs that don't show growth. Use the middle 2/3 as your basis, whether weighing individual eggs or candling. Weighing full trays is the most accurate way to determine proper moisture loss.

Thanks, I will look into doing that. I will re candle the eggs and mark them in pencil. How much handling is too much? I'm as gentle as I can be but I am afraid that if I take the lid off the bator again it will hurt them? It's only a few minutes at a time, but they've all been picked up and put down at least once today.

Gentle is essential, no sudden movements or jarring, especially in early development. I handle as little as possible, but a broody hen will get on and off the nest and nudge the eggs around frequently, so just be gentle.

These are some of the larger air cells, what should I do about my humidity to make them slow down?

They do seem bigger since I'm candling them with an empty toilet paper roll to shrink the tip of the flashlight.

These are looking pretty good for the time they have been in. Yes, handle gently, and don't worry about candling again until day 10, or even 14. I am finding that having a turner is keeping me a good girl. I don't have the urge to candle since they are not in my hands.
tongue.png

I penciled in all the air cells, I think overall humidity has been a touch low. What do you all think?

The eggs are about 4.5 days along. I don't have a scale to weigh them but I will get one before I do this eggain. The humidity has been about 35 percent as recommended. I think I'm going to try and raise it up though.

For Marans, I would keep it at 35%.

Weighing is a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom