2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I candled a day early for day 14. Out of 18 eggs, I had 9 clears and 2 blood rings. Only 7 left. I think the breeder has fertility issues, with so many clear. Oh well 7 is better than zero.

Hear are my pups!

love.gif
love seeing them on beds you just know they are loved!!! and that their owners are good hearted people!! Dogs only live 10-13 years average, how much does a comforter cost, seriously!
love.gif
This is my cuddle time with my kids, hubs and dogs! I wouldnt miss it for the world, who cares what the bed looks like or how many times I have to change the bedding! I make it part of my chore list, because its a very important part of my life!

On April 19th - I hatched my white Call duck, Winter, and my baby, Palmer, raised her. Winter imprinted on Palmer. And, Palmer immediately took to Winter as if she was her own. Winter lives inside with Palmer and my other two Yorkies, Palmer's daddy and momma. They are Winter's flock. Palmer and Winter have a very special relationship. I love my babies more than anything in the world! I am forever blessed!
love.gif

This is so AWESOMEly CUTE!!!!!

if you're not opening the bator 60% should be ok. I added a wet paper towel for my egg because it seemed stuck. I'm not sure you'll need to. I hope your little ones pip and zip soon.
News: The Barnevelder hatched and I just moved it to the brooder. The contented chick sounds are so sweet. No more screaming. Until Halloween. Ha ha ha.
x2

We usually roast our meatiess, and make stock from our heritage birds.
I roasted all the necks, gizzards and other innards veggies and stuff first and then slow cooked it for well over 28 hours. its really really really good I am amazed at its flavor.
I may do the same with the turkeys we shall see!

this one's for Sally
big_smile.png
. Thnanks for all of your hard work and inspiration.

Absolutely Stunning!!

so Cute!!! are you spoiling the other one too?

I just did the math. One chick hatched at about 468 hours. One hatched at about 492 hours. If 504 hours is the goal with proper temps humidity and turning, then I clearly have to address temperature issues, right? I will be calibrating and running a few tests this spring. Is it safe to assume that temps being too high caused the poor hatch rate (13%)? In addition to them being shipped? Half of them looked okay at day 10, but only 2/15 hatched. Please be honest and help me troubleshoot and assess.
Multiple thermometers read 100 degrees F for a majority of the incubation period, but ran up to 102 early on (before day 7) in the still air LG. Humidity was 25-30% until lockdown. Eggs were discarded for blood rings, clears and the oozing problems. I'm sure there's no easy answer to what went wrong.
Some of the eggs had air cells that were non existent or disappeared during the course of incubation. What causes this?

Is your temp control in your bator very touchy and jumping up and down very quickly and very hard to control?

did you hatch bantams or standards?

"Some of the eggs had air cells that were non existent or disappeared during the course of incubation. What causes this?" never seen this except fresh eggs

Ok here is a picture of my little man and our kitty, as promised
love.gif
(also lots of ketchup!)

On a less happy note, my eggs look like 6/7 are clears (day 10), and the last one(day 7?) is....weird. Split long ways, it's clear on one half of the egg, dark on the other. ???? It's shell mush be really thick because it's much harder to see into than my other ones. I'm going to give them till 14 and then probably will be doing a total loss
hit.gif
I'm so sad!

Last edited:
Lol thanks Sally about my silkies I'm very pleased with the ones that made it out and their hatch mates I do admit to wanting more though. Out of my silkie hatch last spring I got six silkies and two bonus bantams. The seller sent 17 eggs three were clears all silkies and one bantam egg quit very early but I didn't realize until lockdown.(I'm guessing day ten) we lost one zipper when it turned(it wasn't zipping all the way through) its head away from the hole and drowned. Membrane was drying white and giving it problems cutting it. It was gone before I tried to help it being quite a large chick and sticky to boot I think it had problems turning. We lost one other one I was helping from unknown reasons. It was ready but also stuck, was malposotioned in the egg. It never bled never got cold idk what happened maybe exhaustion as it was over 36 hrs. I saved the little self blue oegb, named Crocket, for the padded country crock dish she spent her first 24 hours in in the incubator as the silkies were trampling and attacking her. The reason I knew Crocket was in trouble was because her membrane at the edges of her pip started to get a brownish color and while reading I found that was a do or die moment I had no other pips. All in all I got a great hatch rate I feel for my first incubation and I can't wait to do more. I do have to say I believe my success was due to the eggs arriving with all air cells intact. All eggs that didn't hatch were eggtopsied lots of malposotioned chicks that were fully formed and all but one absorbed the yolks. There was one cross beak the rest looked great maybe too big. Oddly enough not a silkie black or blue chick made it except Lovey.

And absolutely more chickens are in my future I made a deal with DH2B so come spring let the enabling begin! :) I have a list of breeds I want so we'll see. We have space we have fields in all directions after our very large yard.

What are everyone's favorite breeds? We like dual purpose but I also think I would like some campines, Andalusians, and I want to try hatching Buttercups again since my last hatch this year(surprise from DH2B as his nickname for me is Buttercup) was a complete and total flop. The eBay seller packaged them terribly and three of the first shipment were shattered. All air cells were awful. I asked him to package the replacement eggs better gave instructions in case he didn't know. Sent same way no eggs broken almost every air cell obliterated. :( nothing hatched lots seemed to have been developing on day 7 candled again day 8 when I went to show my Mom a couple and most of them had died.

Anyway sorry for such a long message.

I just did the math. One chick hatched at about 468 hours. One hatched at about 492 hours. If 504 hours is the goal with proper temps humidity and turning, then I clearly have to address temperature issues, right? I will be calibrating and running a few tests this spring. Is it safe to assume that temps being too high caused the poor hatch rate (13%)? In addition to them being shipped? Half of them looked okay at day 10, but only 2/15 hatched. Please be honest and help me troubleshoot and assess.
Multiple thermometers read 100 degrees F for a majority of the incubation period, but ran up to 102 early on (before day 7) in the still air LG. Humidity was 25-30% until lockdown. Eggs were discarded for blood rings, clears and the oozing problems. I'm sure there's no easy answer to what went wrong.
Some of the eggs had air cells that were non existent or disappeared during the course of incubation. What causes this?

I don't generally count the clears in my percentage, as no amount of incubation will hatch an egg that is not viable.

What are everyone's favorite breeds? We like dual purpose but I also think I would like some campines, Andalusians, and I want to try hatching Buttercups again since my last hatch this year(surprise from DH2B as his nickname for me is Buttercup) was a complete and total flop. The eBay seller packaged them terribly and three of the first shipment were shattered. All air cells were awful. I asked him to package the replacement eggs better gave instructions in case he didn't know. Sent same way no eggs broken almost every air cell obliterated.
sad.png
nothing hatched lots seemed to have been developing on day 7 candled again day 8 when I went to show my Mom a couple and most of them had died.

Anyway sorry for such a long message.
I have been looking for collonca chicken eggs for a while now, with no luck :( They are a breed I'd like to try really bad!

Just realized I might have miss counted days, I put the eggs in the incubator on 10/9, at 11pm, but did that was part of the 24 prep, I did not turn the turner on until 11am in the 10th. Hmm, maybe due date 29th not 28th. Would stopping turning a day early effect hatching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom