2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

@PhoredaBurds I was thinking the same thing as Ravyn said before i saw her response. everything i hatch, ducks, chickens, quail (never peas, though) beaks are the other direction.

Is the temp drop for hatching advised for peas lockdown? The only thing i can suggest is if possible, can you try hatching in the Brinsea? I had been using a styro to hatch when i had staggered hatches and it seemed to do fine. But i was having trouble with lavender Orpingtons that were zipping, but missing parts of the membrane, then weren't able to push out on their own. Last week i left them in the brinsea (octagon adv ex) and every single one hatched! Coincidence maybe, but worth a shot?

Oh, you may also consider stopping turning sooner? I know with chickens, turning isn't as vital for the last week, not just the last 3 days. Maybe a few extra days of no turning would let them orient better?? :confused:

@PhoredaBurds I was thinking the same thing as Ravyn said before i saw her response. everything i hatch, ducks, chickens, quail (never peas, though) beaks are the other direction.

Is the temp drop for hatching advised for peas lockdown? The only thing i can suggest is if possible, can you try hatching in the Brinsea? I had been using a styro to hatch when i had staggered hatches and it seemed to do fine. But i was having trouble with lavender Orpingtons that were zipping, but missing parts of the membrane, then weren't able to push out on their own. Last week i left them in the brinsea (octagon adv ex) and every single one hatched! Coincidence maybe, but worth a shot?

Oh, you may also consider stopping turning sooner? I know with chickens, turning isn't as vital for the last week, not just the last 3 days. Maybe a few extra days of no turning would let them orient better?? :confused:
Thank you for that thoughtful response. I was just wondering if using the hovabator was part of my problem. It's nice to use it & have staggered hatches, but it's much tougher to keep stable. Will try these next 5 eggs in the brinsea for hatching. May chill out with the supplemental turning early too.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I have had 100% hatch rate for the past two years and I rotate eggs from day one until they start pecking.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3541.JPG
    IMG_3541.JPG
    814.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom