2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

I understand, it's a lot easier to get a higher hatch rate with a lower number of eggs. I let my hens hatch out a clutch as well. I don't have enough room to keep lots of peachicks, that's why I keep it a low number. Someday I'll incubate more eggs, and I won't be surprised when the hatch rate drops from 100%. If I kept a 100% hatch rate with a large number it would be a miracle.

I understand, it's a lot easier to get a higher hatch rate with a lower number of eggs. I let my hens hatch out a clutch as well. I don't have enough room to keep lots of peachicks, that's why I keep it a low number. Someday I'll incubate more eggs, and I won't be surprised when the hatch rate drops from 100%. If I kept a 100% hatch rate with a large number it would be a miracle.

With experience comes understanding. The 'dirty little secret' of big breeders, myself included, is a hatch rate that just makes me sick. Then again if there was really such a thing as 100% hatch rate with peafowl they would be as cheap as chickens.

Actually in some areas they're pretty cheap. In Idaho, buying peafowl is a breeze. My most expensive bird I've bought in the state of Idaho was $150 White peahen. She was not as great of quality for the price I bought her for unfortunately. My IB male was a Christmas gift, my 6 year old IB hen I bought as a 3 year old was $30. My Black Shoulder I bought when she was a couple months old was $35. My White peahen I bought as a 5 year old for $50. My Spalding split to White peahen I bought as 2 weeks old was $15. Idaho peafowl are great quality, if you look, just low priced. My first White peacock, Ice was $35, he was a yearling. I know that you're saying that because there's a lower hatch rate, they're more rare, making them higher priced. But I'm pointing that location also plays a role in it as well.

With experience comes understanding. The 'dirty little secret' of big breeders, myself included, is a hatch rate that just makes me sick. Then again if there was really such a thing as 100% hatch rate with peafowl they would be as cheap as chickens.
Thank you for your honesty on this subject. I got very good at hatching shipped chicken eggs, but find pea eggs to be very challenging. I'm sorry that hatches are still less than you'd like, but comforted by knowing I'm not the only one who struggles.

Currently have 5 viable eggs on their 23rd day. I stopped turning them 12 hours earlier than past clutches, and left them in the brinsea. Hopefully the stability of this bator will help them hatch better than the last 5.

Those of you that have luck with hatching pea eggs, what do u set ur hatcher temp & humidity to? I've been dropping the temp to ~98.8 and raising the humidity to ~70%.

Thank you for your honesty on this subject. I got very good at hatching shipped chicken eggs, but find pea eggs to be very challenging. I'm sorry that hatches are still less than you'd like, but comforted by knowing I'm not the only one who struggles.

Currently have 5 viable eggs on their 23rd day. I stopped turning them 12 hours earlier than past clutches, and left them in the brinsea. Hopefully the stability of this bator will help them hatch better than the last 5.

Those of you that have luck with hatching pea eggs, what do u set ur hatcher temp & humidity to? I've been dropping the temp to ~98.8 and raising the humidity to ~70%.

The most used combination is 60% at 99.6, I have one incubator at 55% doing a comparison this year. I used to raise the humidity in the hatcher but quit this year and stay with the 60% which is working well.

The most used combination is 60% at 99.6, I have one incubator at 55% doing a comparison this year. I used to raise the humidity in the hatcher but quit this year and stay with the 60% which is working well.
Thank you for the info!

The eggs are cooking along in the brinsea, due to hatch on Wednesday. Made several adjustments to my hatching process. Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!

Will post pics of what hatches & what does not hatch. Fingers crossed for a good hatch.

Thank you everyone here who made suggestions!!! I took the suggestions, made some changes to my hatch process & look what happened!
IMG_3525.JPG
I used the brinsea for hatching. Set it at 99.6 w 60% hum, and stopped turning on day 23. All 5 eggs in hatcher hatched! (6th chick hatched under a peahen). All have beautiful toes and straight legs. Thank you!!!

Thank you everyone here who made suggestions!!! I took the suggestions, made some changes to my hatch process & look what happened!
View attachment 1077210
I used the brinsea for hatching. Set it at 99.6 w 60% hum, and stopped turning on day 23. All 5 eggs in hatcher hatched! (6th chick hatched under a peahen). All have beautiful toes and straight legs. Thank you!!!

That's great! Thanks for the follow-up, those are going to be really nice burds.

Back
Top Bottom