2016 Gosling Hatch-a-long

How precious! That will be one super spoiled baby.
big_smile.png

My babies from this year are getting so big already. They have their big bird voices coming in and are starting to honk. Today I started integrating them into the flock. They made it really easy on me and followed the older birds into the coop on their own tonight.

They are very cute! Yes, goslings grow up so darn fast. My pair are also getting big and living outside 24/7 with the rest of the group now, but they still think I'm mom. There is one buff dewlap female who has developed a special attachment to them and acts like their mom. Thankfully, she is the first dewlap I hatched 4 years ago and is also very imprinted to me.

Update on my flock!
So summer time is always the worst time of the year for deaths and many goslings have been snatched by the Fox including 2 adult females with one being Barbara.
Sloppy Joe had severe bumble foot but recovered very well. Also 2 goslings died of sickness
Leaving me with 6 Buff females and 4 brown African males.
And 7 Africanxembden crosses ;)
Hope everyone is well!

Hi Serv! Great to see you! I am so sorry for the losses, but glad that you have good sized flock still. Not much has changed over here. The two goslings I hatched this year are awesome and while we have had a few duck and chicken losses to predators, my geese numbers are the same. My scovies continue to hatch babies all season long and I ordered 10 baby chicks of random fancy breeds last month, so even with predator losses, our total numbers have not gone down.

Hope you don't disappear again from the forum, but if so, I'll plan on seeing you on the 2017 hatchalong.
big_smile.png

Lately we've seen a lot of Fox activities around here. My dog managed to bite one a few times to scare it off forever 2 weeks ago but for what I'm seeing is that there are many other foxes. Never stoats in my life ever until I found one dead near my door and a week later another at my door ( killed either by my dog or cats.
I had such a busy summer this year and most likely all my summers will be me disappearing for months.
For the 2017 hatch along I'm starting to sell my Buff and Brown African goslings to make the African population in Ireland bigger specially the Buff variety ;)

Back
Top Bottom