2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

Congrats Danielle!

My husband gave me this puzzle; perfect for passing the time during "lock-down"!

thank you! I need that puzzle!! Iol i love puzzles and that would be a great time passer :)

Mine is the hovabator genesis. Forced air. No temp fluctuations. Pretty neat. Especially for the price.
I'll have to look into it! I cannot wait to start hatching!

I have a 20 adv. With turner

I love it. Holds temp solid.
Usually 80 to 90 percent hatch rates. Use it for quail, chicken and turkey.

Don't use 90 percent of the features on it. But like the temp adjustability.
A 80 to 90% hatch rate? That's awesome!

Hey all of you incubating experts, how does this incubator sound for a newbie:
https://www.amazon.com/Brinsea-Octagon-Auto-Turn-Incubator/dp/B001UFJTJC

It has wonderful reviews, most of the customers said that they just put the eggs in and put some water in it every few days, with great hatch rates!

Ideal and would be a good purchase :highfive:
Brinsea are very reliable, good at getting up to and holding temp and humidity. I would recommend a seperate hygrometer for this model though as it does not have one built in.

Over here in the U.K. Brinsea have put those models on at a reduced price as they will no longer be making them due to the new range they have out, so maybe they will do that also for the US? http://www.brinsea.com/

Last edited:

Here are the first 2!! These were in the smaller eggs i set they are the ones i was the most worried about because of how small the eggs were are they are both out and doing great!!!!! I have one more that im a little concerned about it is piping on the side of its shell so we shall see

Eta: i have 2 little giant still air incubators one of incubating and the other i bought just for lockdown since i have some that have different hatch dates as i have duckies as well :) they both have been great at holding a steady temp and humidity

Last edited:
Well, when they go into the cone, their heads are low and they fall asleep because of blood rushing to their heads, so they are pretty out of it when we kill them. We hope it is pretty humane way of doing the deed, we don't like killing them. But we do like eating them!

We do ours in the cones, and I do feel like it is the most humane. If I mention chicken killing to any non BYC friends, they are like ''Oooh, I bet it is fun to watch them run around with their head chopped off'' Then I have to explain that is about as unhumane as it gets and if I ever had to see that I most certainly would not find it funny. I think the cones have them much more relaxed. If my mom is just doing one or two at a time, she just cradles them in her lap till they fall asleep and then does the deed..............Here we are on a HAL thread with new lives all over the place and talking about culling...:lol:

Ooh! Can I join too!? I'm already a member of the January Hatch along thread but it doesn't get as much action as this thread. I tried to make my own thread but it flopped. Lol. Anyway I have 26 shipped silkie/sizzle/showgirl eggs in lockdown. Today at 3:30 pm starts day 19 for them. I am so excited because I've hatched only twice before and made so many horrible mistakes and this time I have tried to be so good!
1f607.png

And I'm stressed because even though I know probably nothing will happen for couple more days, I can't stop myself from checking in them at least once per hour even so! I'm hopeless! Heh.
Also not sure why but on candle at day 18 to check for internal pips before lockdown I noticed that several eggies looked to be developing several days behind the rest of the eggs. I am in a hovabator forced air and have had no temp fluctuations at all so I'm not sure how some could be so far behind? When tapped, the baby inside definitely moves around in there. But I guess that's what worries me. At this point the egg should be so full of chicken that it can't move around so much anymore. Ugh. I hope they don't die.

Welcome to the thread, Melanie! I can not wait to see pictures!

Mine is the hovabator genesis. Forced air. No temp fluctuations. Pretty neat. Especially for the price.

I was going to get a hovabator, but someone here on BYC convinced me to get the Incuview.

Hey all of you incubating experts, how does this incubator sound for a newbie:
https://www.amazon.com/Brinsea-Octagon-Auto-Turn-Incubator/dp/B001UFJTJC

It has wonderful reviews, most of the customers said that they just put the eggs in and put some water in it every few days, with great hatch rates!

If you get a Brinsea, I am going to be so jealous! :lau I hope you find a good one though!

Today is day 12, I am getting so anxious! Humidity is staying in a good range though, and everything seems to be going ok!

Here are the first 2!! These were in the smaller eggs i set they are the ones i was the most worried about because of how small the eggs were are they are both out and doing great!!!!! I have one more that im a little concerned about it is piping on the side of its shell so we shall see

Eta: i have 2 little giant still air incubators one of incubating and the other i bought just for lockdown since i have some that have different hatch dates as i have duckies as well :) they both have been great at holding a steady temp and humidity

Woohoo!!!

Also, what is "GroundHog Day"???
lol, little animal comes up out of burrow,
if it sees its shadow it is scared back into its den <<six more weeks of winter>>
if it does not see its shadow <<six more weeks until spring>>

see the catch there

It's feb. 2. The pull a groundhog out of a stump in pennsylvania . Talk to it and if he says he's sees his shadow. We get 8 more weeks of winter.

If he doesn't see shadow early spring
lol, see my above, its not 8 its 6 but no matter what its always six weeks

Esther is hatching her 4h turkeys ( with a lot of my help) for the summer fair.
awesome!!

Ooh! Can I join too!? I'm already a member of the January Hatch along thread but it doesn't get as much action as this thread. I tried to make my own thread but it flopped. Lol. Anyway I have 26 shipped silkie/sizzle/showgirl eggs in lockdown. Today at 3:30 pm starts day 19 for them. I am so excited because I've hatched only twice before and made so many horrible mistakes and this time I have tried to be so good!
1f607.png

And I'm stressed because even though I know probably nothing will happen for couple more days, I can't stop myself from checking in them at least once per hour even so! I'm hopeless! Heh.
Also not sure why but on candle at day 18 to check for internal pips before lockdown I noticed that several eggies looked to be developing several days behind the rest of the eggs. I am in a hovabator forced air and have had no temp fluctuations at all so I'm not sure how some could be so far behind? When tapped, the baby inside definitely moves around in there. But I guess that's what worries me. At this point the egg should be so full of chicken that it can't move around so much anymore. Ugh. I hope they don't die.
could be hot/cold spots in your bator
did you calibrate your thermo/hygro??

very important to calibrate!!!

Hey, does anybody here have any experience with Brinsea incubators? I am thinking about an Incuview or a Brinsea.
brinseas are VERY expensive but they are very steady

Here we go again....
1f60d.png
...I set 24 eggs on the 17th, got down to 18 for infertility and cracked eggs on 3rd day candle. Today is 7th day and candled got down to 14 (4 porous eggs i left in first candle cuz hard to see) got strong candle today and went down to 14 eggs developing. This were old eggs my dad found in a hidden nest, so I don't know if they were infertile or just old eggs. Going to set another 10 eggs tomorrow, I was hoping a dozen but I guess my 3 girls took a break today and collected none today.
GOOD LUCK!!! i hope you have great hatch rates!!! and get rid of those stupid dogs!!!

2 out of my 3 hatched. The last one died in its shell. I eggtopsied it and found it upside down in the egg. Its head was in the small end of the egg away from the air cell
1f622.png
so sorry! at least you got 2, and not just a singleton!

Midway into Day 19 for my 26 shipped sizzles and I see 2 pips! Man it's going to be torture at work today! I'm so excited!
1f600.png
1f600.png
1f606.png
1f61d.png
1f917.png
fl.gif

I woke up to one of my little golf ball looking eggs that i thought was behind hatched out ill post pics soon the other small one like it has done started busting its shell im so excited yall!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom