2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

Cool! Mine started rocking on day 18 and today there are seven hatched and seven pipped, waiting for the others to pip....
fl.gif

Oh, how exciting!!!! I can not wait to see pictures of them!!! You are so lucky.
big_smile.png

Well, out of the dozen Buff Orpington eggs I set five have hatched and one is pipped. I had to help one Buff Orpington after 14 hours of not moving a bit and he/she is doing great! All the buff orpingtons are so energetic when they first hatch! They are running around so much am I afraid they are going to break the other eggs! I set 6 Black Australorp eggs and 2 are hatched and the other 4 are pipped. The first one got out, but then the membrane somehow put it in a straitjacket and the poor thing could not move and I had to clip it a bit to get it started. After struggling so much she was very weak, on top of the fact I had to help her, but she is perking up a bit now and I think she'll pull through. The second Australorp hatched 30 minutes ago and is still drying off in the incubator.

This is the second Australorp chick.
Out of the 8 White leghorn/Australorp crosses, one was infertile, two have pipped and still waiting on the others. Here are the peeps!

I got up in the middle of the night to check on them and ended up falling asleep with a chick nestled in my neck next to the incubator.
I can't wait either! Oh my goodness! How adorable!!!
love.gif

So, it turns out my thermometer probe was touching one of the eggs..... So my incubator was actually too cold! I've got it fixed now, but man I hate it when this happens! Right before lock down every hatch the incubator freaks out a little. Thankfully I should still get a good hatch. I will candle when I stop turning tonight!

Aghh! So excited for y'all! I'm on Day 20 and have to work tomorrow until noon... It's going to drive me crazy waiting to get home to check on my eggs! No pips or peeps yet... Though I'm sitting here (im)patiently waiting. It's like xmas eve!

Last edited:
:ya AN EGG HAS PIPPED!!!! It's the one at the front which I've seen rocking a lot, that when I candled this morning I could see nothing.

They are on their sides, and have been for the whole incubation. I'm on day 27/28.
Congrats!! So happy for you!! Sounds like your Baylor may have been a tad on the cool side

:fl

Well, I think the hatch is over....it lasted 36 hours, so pretty good, I think. 88% hatch rate, is that good for a first timer? I still have three out of 26 in the incubator just in case they are late bloomers. The fourth one was infertile to start with. 22 thriving chicks! I will post pictures later. 6 out of 6 Black Australorps hatched, 11 out of 12 Buff Orpingtons hatched, and 5 out of 8 Black Australorp x White Leghorns hatched. I think the problem with the crosses was that the Leghorn eggs were too blunt to figure out which end was the air cell.

I will do eggtopsies on the unhatched eggs in the morning. Little scared about that. I mentioned it to my mom and she said it was stupid to feel emotional over ''some stupid un-hatched eggs''. Last time I tell her how I feel about chicken stuff. :p

Back
Top Bottom