2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

Good news, our first egg hatched! The other 4 are wiggling around getting ready to pip as well!
celebrate.gif

My question is, he is in the incubator to dry off, but it's at 99.5 degrees, and I read that chicks need 95 degrees for their first week. Is he too hot?

Good news, our first egg hatched! The other 4 are wiggling around getting ready to pip as well! :celebrate My question is, he is in the incubator to dry off, but it's at 99.5 degrees, and I read that chicks need 95 degrees for their first week. Is he too hot?
No, he's fine. Let him be til he's dry.

Came back today after 5 days in Mexico in a funeral to find 7 babies on my homemade bator out of 13 in lockdown, today is day 20 and seems this little gadget I built is working great.

So I am a stressed out, worried, chicken mama. The little one is doing okay, I just haven't seen him drink on his own. I dipped his beak in the water and he wants nothing to do with that, all he wants to do is eat. So every hour I pick him up and give him droplets of water off of my finger. I can't keep doing this and he needs to learn to drink on his own. Also, I don't know if he has pooped yet? He could have, and I just can't see it, but I'm not sure. I probably worry too much. He is a happy perky little guy, I want to make sure he, and all the others that hatch, will survive.

So I am a stressed out, worried, chicken mama. The little one is doing okay, I just haven't seen him drink on his own. I dipped his beak in the water and he wants nothing to do with that, all he wants to do is eat. So every hour I pick him up and give him droplets of water off of my finger. I can't keep doing this and he needs to learn to drink on his own. Also, I don't know if he has pooped yet? He could have, and I just can't see it, but I'm not sure. I probably worry too much. He is a happy perky little guy, I want to make sure he, and all the others that hatch, will survive.
How old?

Back
Top Bottom