2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

He hatched just yesterday, a little over 12 hours ago. I know they can survive off of the yolk they absorbed for a while but I don't want him to get dehydrated since he is already pecking at the feed. And I'm not sure when he should start pooping? He doesn't have pasty butt.
12 hours is fine, I think. You can keep giving him drops of water if you wanna make extra sure he's okay.

Not sure on the pooping question... Honestly, I just enjoyed that no-poo stage and never worried about it or timed it.
lol.png

12 hours is fine, I think. You can keep giving him drops of water if you wanna make extra sure he's okay.

Not sure on the pooping question... Honestly, I just enjoyed that no-poo stage and never worried about it or timed it.
lol.png
Okay the water has electrolytes in it so it does make me feel better giving him drops of water. Two more eggs are starting to pip so hopefully he will have siblings soon and hopefully he feels much better with them and starts drinking on his own.

Thanks for your help. As long as the no-pooping thing isn't an issue, I will enjoy that stage as well! I know how stinky it can get once they start pooping, yuck!

I have some Emus in the 'bator!
Fun!!

First batch hatch next week!
GOOD LUCK!!
fl.gif

He hatched just yesterday, a little over 12 hours ago. I know they can survive off of the yolk they absorbed for a while but I don't want him to get dehydrated since he is already pecking at the feed. And I'm not sure when he should start pooping? He doesn't have pasty butt.
i think it will be ok, just take a look and make sure its vent is not sticky/glued shut, i had that happen to one of my chicks but was able to catch it

And then there were 24 with 5 more unzipping! Here is a photo of the mass movement of the first 21
roll.png
They filled up the incubator real quick!

love the orange one in the middle!

For my singleton... Dipping its beak in water was unsuccessful. What worked was scratching my finger in the water to get her interested and she finally drank on her own...
Okay the water has electrolytes in it so it does make me feel better giving him drops of water. Two more eggs are starting to pip so hopefully he will have siblings soon and hopefully he feels much better with them and starts drinking on his own. 

Thanks for your help. As long as the no-pooping thing isn't an issue, I will enjoy that stage as well! I know how stinky it can get once they start pooping, yuck! 

@DwayneNLiz these are my 4 duck eggs that go on lockdown the 9th how do the aircells look to you? I have been sponging them once a day

Back
Top Bottom