Announcement 2020 Update: Political and Politically Charged Content Not Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
2. So that a thread, article ( That should’ve been a thread), or post can be moved to a more appropriate area
Instead of reporting them, you could leave a comment for the author letting them know that they created an article instead of a thread. If you know what forum they should have started the thread in, copy/paste the link too. Explain to them they will get more replies doing this.

Example:
Hello, this is the article section. May I suggest you post a thread in the emergency forum instead? There you will get help from more people.

If you could do this it would be very helpful!

Instead of reporting them, you could leave a comment for the author letting them know that they created an article instead of a thread. If you know what forum they should have started the thread in, copy/paste the link too. Explain to them they will get more replies doing this.

Example:
Hello, this is the article section. May I suggest you post a thread in the emergency forum instead? There you will get help from more people.

I try to do that when I remember, but normally other people have already commented by the time I see. If a thread had already been made by the user when I see the article, then I report. :)

I try to do that when I remember, but normally other people have already commented by the time I see. If a thread had already been made by the user when I see the article, then I report. :)
Perfect! So if the member did start a thread, do mention that in the report so that the moderators know it's okay to delete. If they have not started a thread, it's best not to report it.

Example:

I do both. Typically they are new people so I leave a comment along the lines of "Welcome to BYC! I can/cant help with your issue, but, I see that this thread isn't in the best place for it and likely wont get the attention you were hoping for, it belongs in this section (provides a link), and I an going to request a mod to move it there." That way it gets moved with minimal stress to the new member but they mow know where they should post in the future.

Thank you, Nifty. I'm glad you made this rule. I have not been in Random Ramblings or the Family section in literally years, not since I got burnout and stepped down from the mod chair. For those who don't know, I was a moderator for about five years here, near the beginning. It is not an easy job, but Rob tries to have a Mod Squad from differing backgrounds of easygoing temperaments who can work as a team to solve issues and discuss actions, always liked that about him... I moderated on a Facebook group and it was, well, not at all the same. I actually deleted my FB account once and for all because of the insanity that goes on, much like some threads apparently have devolved into on BYC lately, from the discussion I'm seeing.

I have not even skimmed a thread with a title like this, either, yet here I am all the way to the end and I see that my decision to stay out of those areas was a good one. Back then, political and religious posts were "strongly discouraged" and I found it difficult to moderate that vague rule. I like black and white rules to enforce, but lordy, I wouldn't step back in for love nor money in our climate now! The oversharing that goes on in those two sections and the verbal fisticuffs put me on overload so I stay in my own years-long running threads unless someone tags me in emergencies or breeds. Safer that way for my sanity. I am still here, yeah, been here since the beginning, used to be the top poster on BYC, but once I stopped visiting those sections, even the Emergencies area, my post count slowed waaaaaaay down. I'm here for the chickens, not to know personal stuff about people's lives. So, Rob, you have my thumbs-up vote on this one. Stopped in to say hello to my former Chief! 💖 If anything is uncertain, you're not sure what is right or wrong about a post, just hit the report button and let the mod team sort it out, folks.

Thank you, Nifty. I'm glad you made this rule. I have not been in Random Ramblings or the Family section in literally years, not since I got burnout and stepped down from the mod chair. For those who don't know, I was a moderator for about five years here, near the beginning. It is not an easy job, but Rob tries to have a Mod Squad from differing backgrounds of easygoing temperaments who can work as a team to solve issues and discuss actions, always liked that about him... I moderated on a Facebook group and it was, well, not at all the same. I actually deleted my FB account once and for all because of the insanity that goes on, much like some threads apparently have devolved into on BYC lately, from the discussion I'm seeing.

I have not even skimmed a thread with a title like this, either, yet here I am all the way to the end and I see that my decision to stay out of those areas was a good one. Back then, political and religious posts were "strongly discouraged" and I found it difficult to moderate that vague rule. I like black and white rules to enforce, but lordy, I wouldn't step back in for love nor money in our climate now! The oversharing that goes on in those two sections and the verbal fisticuffs put me on overload so I stay in my own years-long running threads unless someone tags me in emergencies or breeds. Safer that way for my sanity. I am still here, yeah, been here since the beginning, used to be the top poster on BYC, but once I stopped visiting those sections, even the Emergencies area, my post count slowed waaaaaaay down. I'm here for the chickens, not to know personal stuff about people's lives. So, Rob, you have my thumbs-up vote on this one. Stopped in to say hello to my former Chief! 💖 If anything is uncertain, you're not sure what is right or wrong about a post, just hit the report button and let the mod team sort it out, folks.
My BYC time has cut way down recently as well . Just don't have a lot of free time .

Awww, thanks Cyn!!! :hugs

You were always an incredible member of our team and have always been one of our core founding "rooted" members!!!

:love

I love the rules and the way you explain it as a home. Rules are necessary to keep the peace, making the experience fair and fun for everyone.

I do not like drama, especially among strangers through a screen. I use to be part of a forum for mothers and expecting mothers 12 years ago. It wasn't moderated nearly as much as it should have been. One example, due to bullying in a thread, a user committed suicide. It was extremely disappointing to see how fast a conversation could get ugly with insensitive people (adults?!) and no one controlling it. It was a mess... so much wrong going on!
I was an active member for 3 years but, there came a point where it wasn't fun. It was drama fueled and out of control.

So, it is a pleasure to be here; and the rules and expectations are much appreciated. I can't imagine it's easy to manage a place like this for so long but, you're doing a great job! Thank you :)

Why would anybody want to mix politics and chickens anyway??
Kind of a double dip of crazy.
It happens really fast, the only political thread I was on started as a question as wether or not Trump signed an executive order to stop baby chicks from being shipped by mail, of course, this person heard this on YouTube. I wish I had known how to report then, because after one comment about Trumps intelligence, everything went crazy. I agree, if you think its going to be political, don't say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom