2021 Emu Hatch-a-long!

LittleLeighFarm

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2015
Hello all! A little background about our situation. We recently bought a house and a little property, I have a big barn and right at 2 acres fenced in, and have kept lots of chickens over the years as well as hatched several dozen. I have came across YouTube videos of people hatching Emus and always wanted to give it a shot. I have a almost 3 year old daughter that loves anything to do with animals and would love for her to experience the hatching and growth of such a animal. I began
the hunt for eggs. Unable to find any near me or within a couple hours I turned to ebay. I was afraid to ask my wife about this endeavor and causly mentioned It one evening she shockingly said trying hatching a egg! Well after talking to several sellers and reading reviews I now have 5 eggs and waiting on one more!
20210225_184748.jpg
20210225_185020.jpg

I'm nervous on incubation because I currently have a little giant forced air incubator that has been well used that I have made taller. This incubator has saw tons of use and is a total pain to keep temp and humidity withing range. I have ordered a hovabator genesis but it's Thursday and the new incubator won't be in until Monday. I may start half of them in the little giant and the other half in the new incubator when I get it up and running.

A friend of mine just picked up 3 Emu eggs at auction last night. Since I'm the one who incubates all his eggs for him, I will be attempting it for the first time too. I love emus so I'm sure excited to try. I think I'm going to attempt to find a way to keep them steady in my cabinet incubator so that they're rotated automatically. Any ideas?

A friend of mine just picked up 3 Emu eggs at auction last night. Since I'm the one who incubates all his eggs for him, I will be attempting it for the first time too. I love emus so I'm sure excited to try. I think I'm going to attempt to find a way to keep them steady in my cabinet incubator so that they're rotated automatically. Any ideas?
No, But I am curious how it goes as I would like to automate the process as well! I have read several studies that show hand rotation 3 to 5 times per day 180 degrees back and forth not 360 greatly increases hatch rate. I get kinda skeptical about all of it though because in nature its a giant armless bird kicking some eggs around! lol

Back
Top Bottom