27 week old BAs still not laying!

PsychoChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
I got my two Black Australorps in Oct and the guy said that they were a July hatch. That means at the youngest they are both at 27 weeks. One of them doesn't even have comb yet and neither are laying. Is there something wrong with them? Do you think the guy was mistaken about their age?

I think they'd better watch out for that kitty.
lau.gif

I don't think you were told their correct age. Even if you were, 27 weeks isn't that old for not laying. It's actually better on their bodies to lay later. I've waited 34 weeks on some breeds.

27 weeks old and not laying is nothing.... My 1 Australorp and 3 Dominiques are 31 weeks today and still haven't layed their first egg. Only 1 of my chickens is laying, she layed her first egg on December 24th. She lays an egg just about every day. I don't now what is going on with them.
barnie.gif

Frankly, it often means that your birds have quality breeding. The push for earlier and earlier onset of laying isn't all it's cracked up to be. A solid, dual purpose bird isn't a commercial hybrid and shouldn't be compared to them, in terms of early laying. It's possible that your strain is slower maturing and thus, this generally leads to a long, healthy life.

Plus, spring is coming soon. The sun is rising higher in the sky each day. Within the next few weeks, I'd expect the sun to trigger their final step of maturity.

Thanks for the reassurances! I'm mostly worried about the one who has hardly any comb development. She got a little redder since I took this picture last week but I still don't see her waddle or comb getting any bigger. :/

Thanks for the reassurances! I'm mostly worried about the one who has hardly any comb development. She got a little redder since I took this picture last week but I still don't see her waddle or comb getting any bigger. :/

Not to worry....in my prvious post to you I had told you my Australorp was 31 weeks and no eggs yet, it was only within the last week, that her comb and wattles got huge and very red, she also just started to squat at 30 weeks. So as Fred stated about the quality breeding and later egg laying, I am now looking at this as a good thing.

Frankly, it often means that your birds have quality breeding. The push for earlier and earlier onset of laying isn't all it's cracked up to be. A solid, dual purpose bird isn't a commercial hybrid and shouldn't be compared to them, in terms of early laying. It's possible that your strain is slower maturing and thus, this generally leads to a long, healthy life.

Plus, spring is coming soon. The sun is rising higher in the sky each day. Within the next few weeks, I'd expect the sun to trigger their final step of maturity.

Thanks for the reassurance Fred. I was thinking that something was wrong with the girls or that I was doing something wrong. At 31 weeks and no eggs from 4 out of 5 of them, I guess it will be any day now. I'll take quality breeding over early egg laying anyday!

Not to worry....in my prvious post to you I had told you my Australorp was 31 weeks and no eggs yet, it was only within the last week, that her comb and wattles got huge and very red, she also just started to squat at 30 weeks. So as Fred stated about the quality breeding and later egg laying, I am now looking at this as a good thing.

Good to know!

Back
Top Bottom