27 week old cream legbar that is not laying yet.

LucyL

Chirping
Jul 22, 2015
What do you guys think??? I'm getting impatient. Is there still a chance she'll start laying or do I have to wait until spring? :(
1f622.png

Check her points.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

my cream legbar laid her first egg at almost 26 weeks. There was no warning signs, her comb didn't seem too red, more pinkish and she never did the submissive squat for me. She still won't squat and her comb looks the same to me, not really all that red but she's been laying like crazy since October 22nd.

Here is a picture of mine a day before she laid the first egg if you want to compare? I am sure yours will lay soon :) good luck!

All you folks with pullets tantalizingly close to point of lay could put a low wattage light on a timer to extend daylight hours to around twelve total, and you just might see some first eggs appear.

I have three pullets in this category and I've been mulling in over. The only reason I don't supplement light is because I have fifteen other hens going through molt and I don't want to disrupt it for them.

Without supplemental light, I know it will be late January at the earliest before I see any pullet eggs.

I bought my CCL, wyandotte & EE girls in august and they told me they were about 6 months old. Well I waited and waited and fed them real good and no eggs SO, I got on here and read post on giving them cayenne pepper in their food and for 3 weeks- twice a week I dosed them good with the pepper and guess what? They started laying one by one, the EE first then the CCL and my wyandotte last...who knows if it was the pepper or just time but its fun to believe the old tales!!!

I do free range her as much as possible. I'm afraid to let them be outside by themselves because the last time I did that a cat killed and ate one of my chickens. I'm feeding her a layer feed but I'm not sure of the type. I can check tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom