2x4 vs pole for coop perch

BKirkland

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Virginia
Putting finishing touches on my coop. My husband and I have a debate going. For the inside coop perch, should we use 2x4 perch/roost (or something flat/similar) or do something like a pole/round for grasping?

Putting finishing touches on my coop. My husband and I have a debate going. For the inside coop perch, should we use 2x4 perch/roost (or something flat/similar) or do something like a pole/round for grasping?
I had placed 4 choices. Flat 2x4, on side 2x4 with 1/2 inch rounded corners, Clothes hanger dowel rod, and bamboo. All at the same height.

Ever time I wood come out to check, they be on the would dowel rod. I even rotated their positions and still they roosted on the dowel.

Took the dowel away and I'd find them on the bamboo. Again rotated positions. Still on bamboo.

Took away bamboo and found them on the rounded 2x4 on its side.

Left 2x4 flat and put back just the dowel.
Face off. Again on the dowel.

Left 2x4 flat and put back the bamboo.
Face off. Again the bamboo.

Left 2x4 flat and put back the rounded 2x4 on it's side.
Face off. Again on the rounded 2x4 on its side.

Left just the 2x4 flat. Only. Found them roosting on the bamboo roosts outside in the run.

Last edited:
I had placed 4 choices. Flat 2x4, on side 2x4 with 1/2 inch rounded corners, Clothes hanger dowel rod, and bamboo. All at the same height.

Ever time I wood come out to check, they be on the would dowel rod. I even rotated their positions and still they roosted on the dowel.

Took the dowel away and I'd find them on the bamboo. Again rotated positions. Still on bamboo.

Took away bamboo and found them on the rounded 2x4 on its side.

Left 2x4 flat and put back just the dowel.
Face off. Again on the dowel.

Left 2x4 flat and put back the bamboo.
Face off. Again the bamboo.

Left 2x4 flat and put back the rounded 2x4 on it's side.
Face off. Again on the rounded 2x4 on its side.

Left just the 2x4 flat. Only. Found them roosting on the bamboo roosts outside in the run.
It kind of makes sense, there aren't any 2x4 out in the wild. Their ancestors were roosting in trees.

The research I’ve seen shows they prefer something 2 inches wide; it doesn’t matter so much if it’s flat or round.

In our coop, our chickens have a choice between a 2 inch dowel and a wide side up 2x4 and they always sleep on the dowel. It gets very cold in the winter and their feet are fine.
Yeah, I think that their feet getting wet during the day in the winter leads to more problems than their toes being exposed at night. Wherever I read that, the person probably didn't know what they were talking about.

Yeah, I meant more at night when we shove them in a coop if they don't go themselves, but I'll bet tons of birds are going to bed in a tree tonight, even if it is mostly just in the Hawaiian islands. 😅

Back
Top Bottom