3 strikes your out ~My rooster attacks

I agree the children need to be your priority
Plus you want to enjoy your chickens not be scared to turn your back on them
I can imagine a spur injury could be really bad

I think if you haven't raised them from an egg there can be less attachment, but I'm sure chickens behaviour can change
As my two cuckoo maran hens got older they became less affectionate and cuddly but a few weeks ago they got ill
And with ALOT of tlc( had them sleeping in the house with me, me on the sofa them in boxes in the lounge)
And meds from the vet they recovered well, but they have become very affectionate again

You're probably right on all counts. I just don't have that kind of time and if I took a rooster to live in the house my old beloved turkey would move OUT! I would hate to see that happen - after 47 years I've got him trained the way I want him, he's good to the kids and the dog doesn't bite him. He has a hard enough time understanding how our daughter can live with 22 ducks in the house - yep, IN the house.
lau.gif

You're probably right on all counts. I just don't have that kind of time and if I took a rooster to live in the house my old beloved turkey would move OUT! I would hate to see that happen - after 47 years I've got him trained the way I want him, he's good to the kids and the dog doesn't bite him. He has a hard enough time understanding how our daughter can live with 22 ducks in the house - yep, IN the house.
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
I choked on my tea when I read this! My hens follow me in the house. They each get handed scraps of some sort and then they go back outside. I've never not had scraps for them... i wonder if they'd leave or just wait? LOL

Re: roosters. Even the best behaved roosters need to be watched, and watched very well. Even when they are well behaved, and mine is... I don't want to let my guard down when he is free ranging. He likes to visit the neighbor, and the neighbor brought his dtr and his grand dtr who is 3 y.o. over to see the rooster today. Never let your guard down where young children and animals are concerned.

Re: roosters. Even the best behaved roosters need to be watched, and watched very well. Even when they are well behaved, and mine is... I don't want to let my guard down when he is free ranging. He likes to visit the neighbor, and the neighbor brought his dtr and his grand dtr who is 3 y.o. over to see the rooster today. Never let your guard down where young children and animals are concerned.
I agree! My daughter isn't allowed to be with the chickens alone. They are animals and although they can be sweet i've seen pictures of the damage they can do if they decide to attack!

My sweet bantam boy started attacking the coffee can we use to feed the sheep snacks. The other day he started coming after me! We just introduced 4 hens and I just bought new rubber boots, so I'm giving him more time since I'm the only one he's done that to. I had to kick him in the chest and sent him tumbling last time.
He was fine today. We'll see!

I like the 3 strikes you're out rule! We too raise chickens for eggs & meat. My 2nd hatch this year turned out 22 chicks. 5 pullets & 17 cockrells! They are 4 months now & its about ready for "B" day. The one rooster which I thought was going to be a good rooster grabbed up one of the grown roosters the other day & tried to mate with him! I was horrified. So was my older roo! Had roosters for 2years & never heard of such a thing! So, of course I googled it and found it's normal..........because my other roo is very low on the pecking order. The ax almost swung that day. The mean little roo is going in a big dog crate to fatten up
roll.png

I too have a daughter who has been attached by our roos. We all have for that matter. Especially by our one SS, who is very dominant over the flock. He has pushed me almost to the breaking point. But roos will be roos. Sleep with one eye open!

Back
Top Bottom