3 week old barred rock chick. Need help sexing

MontanaDolphin, thanks much, 18-20 weeks, perfect. So, I'm curious about your comment "I'm trying to be a true farmer as well... but for reasons probably different than yours." If you can share, I'm interested in your reasons, always trying to learn and understand the perspective of others. My reasons are that I am saddened by the way chickens and other animals are treated on the factory farms, those that are destined for the grocery store chicken meat section as well as those that lay eggs. I'm a vegetarian (for this reason and because I don't really like the taste of meat) but my husband is not. So, rather than buying chicken from the grocery store, I will give my roos a better life and then prepare him myself for the table. I'll be closer to our food and I'm positive, appreciate it in many ways, that much more. This is my plan... we'll see when the time comes if I can follow through.

What are your thoughts?
Guppy
That's one of my reasons, but not the main reason. Without getting into too much detail and risk being labeled as a fanatic (which seems to be the current label for ANYONE like me), to put it plainly...I'm a prepper. Complete self-reliance is my ultimate goal. Off the grid, solar energy, raising my own food (both the kind you grow in the ground and the kind that has two to four legs LOL), not having to worry about my family surviving if the economy bombs, or we GET bombed. Raising chickens seemed like a good place to start for meat (my husband hunts, but he can only hunt within the law so it is not year round). I've already been gardening for years.

It's going to take time to be where I want to be, and this is just one of the things I need to accomplish to get there. I'd say the treatment of store bought chickens is my reason number two. I watched a documentary last year called "Food Matters", and it was sickening when I saw what they do to chickens and cows. It just gave me another reason to raise my own.

That's one of my reasons, but not the main reason....
I don't think you're a fanatic or anything but someone trying to live life the way that works best for them. I can't think of anything bad or wrong about trying to be self sufficient, regardless of the reason. And the world is getting more chaotic by the minute, just watching the news lately one can see that. I say good for you and more power to you. Very best of luck to you, truly.

Guppy

Can any one tell me whatt gender it is?

Back
Top Bottom