37 week old EE

bleith

Songster
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
West Dundee IL
And no eggs. doesn't seem like she is ever going to either. no changes in her personality, no squating. is there ever a point to give up? I have 3 other pullets that are the same age and have been laying for about 10-12 weeks, they are different breeds however.

her age is within a week. I know it was late may 2011 I got all them. I have searched high and low for another nest, but cant find it anywhere. the other 3 started squating and their personality changed and within a week they were laying.

A while back someone posted that they had a chicken that didn't start laying until she was 1 1/2 years old. So I think there is still hope for your 37 week old.

She's just a late layer. Easter eggers often are. Especially with maturing in the winter. I just got the first egg from my white leghorn at 33, weeks, and they are early maturing breeds. She's probably just waiting till spring.

She could be a late bloomer. With the days getting longer now, she'll probably get moving soon.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a pullet that is 11 months old and hasn't laid yet. She looked ready, then went into a molt.

thanks for your responses. When you can only have 4 chickens due the local ordinance, it hurts when 25% of your flock doesn't lay. with that 4th bird laying, I would be able to give away more eggs to my neighbors lol.

And no eggs. doesn't seem like she is ever going to either. no changes in her personality, no squating. is there ever a point to give up?

Yup; when they stop breathing
wink.png

Just as all personalities are not the same, nor is their first/last lay.

If your only motivation is giving eggs away, then I don't see a problem. And remember this: apparently, chickens are born with a set number of eggs in their system. If she is a late starter, she may well be a late finisher too ;) So when your other 75% give up laying, this little lady is still going to be producing
wink.png

I will admit to playing classical music to the girls with an old radio. They seem to like it. When they are laying they seem to be more productive. Grandfather used to say I was a nut to play classical music to chickens. I have started with a new batch and play classical music when I clean their pen. It seems to relax them while I am cleaning their bedding.

So, that is my suggestion. Try some calming classical music. They like the flute,cello and piano the most. Has anyone else played classical music for their chickens?

I have tried other genrie but they prefer classical.

Nopey, never played music to my girls.

If it suits you, that is great; I adore my girls, I'm not prepared to go to that extreme
wink.png
Nature gives them natural music (wind, other birdsong, rain sounds, etc.,) I talk to them, that's my limit.

Back
Top Bottom