4-day old icelandic chick with leg problem

OlympicHomesteader

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2018
Port Angeles, WA
We had some issue with the incubator, so we only hatched 2 of 12. The first to hatch is strong and healthy, but the second is small and has some leg issues.

At first I thought it was curled toe, so I put on some tape sandals. Now I think it's her legs at the hip joint. The left foot is curled sideways, but the leg seems ok, and that's the one she puts weight on. The right foot is positioned correctly, but the leg stays tucked up against the body and she won't put weight on it.

We added 4 chicks from the store to the brooder, and their presence seems to have perked her up. She chirps a lot, hops around, and shelters among the bigger birds, but I'm worried about the leg.

Any suggestions?

OK, I've read up on my terms, and given the chick a more careful examination, so hopefully I can better describe what appears to be the problem:

It's not at the "hip", but rather her right leg shank appears to be rotated at the hock. If extended, it hits the floor sideways, so she's been putting her weight on the hock.

Both feet are twisted, but she'll extend the left leg and stand on it.

She let me handle the legs without complaint, but I'd like to do what I can to help her

walk better. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_0477.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG

OK, I've read up on my terms, and given the chick a more careful examination, so hopefully I can better describe what appears to be the problem:

It's not at the "hip", but rather her right leg shank appears to be rotated at the hock. If extended, it hits the floor sideways, so she's been putting her weight on the hock.

Both feet are twisted, but she'll extend the left leg and stand on it.

She let me handle the legs without complaint, but I'd like to do what I can to help her

walk better. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
View attachment 1514390 View attachment 1514391 View attachment 1514392 View attachment 1514390 View attachment 1514391 View attachment 1514392

Let's see if @WVduckchick has any suggestions.

Could be slipped tendon, but it looks like both legs/feet are rotated inward to me. I would lean toward this being a leg bone or skeletal deformity, which you may not be able to fix.
Provide vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). I would give 1/4 crushed human Vitamin B-Complex daily (just mix with her feed).

Sometimes it takes them a few days to get on top of their legs correctly, but I agree with @Wyorp Rock

I’d try some massaging and therapy too, and you could try this process. I’m copying from a different post after someone suggested it for me.

Here's what I would try if it were mine. Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand (kinda bowling ball or lawn-dart starting motion) and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. (keep your hand under, but not touching, and don't drop her! lol) When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the bird, and I would think its worth a try.

Sometimes it takes them a few days to get on top of their legs correctly, but I agree with @Wyorp Rock

I’d try some massaging and therapy too, and you could try this process. I’m copying from a different post after someone suggested it for me.

Here's what I would try if it were mine. Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger. Slowly lower your left hand (kinda bowling ball or lawn-dart starting motion) and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head/chest/body upward toward your hand. (keep your hand under, but not touching, and don't drop her! lol) When it does, you can re-grab the body. This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the bird, and I would think its worth a try.

So are you basically describing suspending the bird by it's feet for a second?

Just to let you know that I had a chick that walked like that for a few days. We thought he might die but he is now a large, healthy and annoying rooster :)

Yes, with a slight twist to cause the bird to try to reset the leg, if it’s a slipped tendon or a joint out of place.

It seems like the issue may be a skeletal deformity, and we're trying to just watch and see how she does. She's tiny, so she's getting a little tramples by the other, much larger, chicks. She was chirping non-stop this morning, so I moved the heat lamp in a bit closer. She definitely wants to be close to the lamp, but also close to the other chicks, who are more comfortable at the other end of the tub.

We're going to see how she does the next day or two, but I'm leaning towards making her a little heated box that lets her stay warm but still see the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom