4-H-er thread!

We're new to 4h . Megan who is 7 has just joined a group . We were the only ones in the group to pick chickens. Right now we are incubating 32 silkie eggs and hopefully there some show quality girls and boys on there.
Unfortunately we are a bit lost as to exactly was she needs to do in 4h. Looks like we joined in the middle of the years and like I mention were lost.
Thanks Scott

Depends on the show. I am showing junior next year at the only show I go to with the option since it is the largest show in the states I show in.
As you are just starting I would go with JR, and you can do showmanship then also

Set 16 Cochin eggs today
6 from BLF-2. I have never shown her but she is not a bad bird, I got her in September '16 from Jamie Matts
8 from BLF-3. Thats the blue pullet that got Reserve Asiatic Pullet at state fair and reserve overall at county. I got her in February '17 from Jamie
And the male over them is BM-1, Reserve Asiatic at state fair, also from Jamie

My PC is the one hatching them, she will be 5 years this spring so I think this will be one of her last batches
20171126_144017.jpg
20171126_143524.jpg

@I Love Layers , how do the judges judge trios? I had someone from my school show a quad, the fair had her fill out 4 different cards and the judge judged them separately.
There are old and young trios. Trios are judged by 50% is on the male and the other 50% is on both females. The females should look lile identical twins. The trio with the highest scoring male will be given Best Trio From there if they are placed first in breed or variety they can go to compete individually for BV, RV etc. Personally I would not enter a trio if they aren't going to be judged properly
I have another question.... how do you cope with the pine chips in the cages at shows? Do you go around with a paper towel and pick poop out of all the cages every 2 minutes?
I usually just go through every other hour with a plastic bag and a cat liter scooper and clean everything up

Last edited:
Rearranged my ribbons and plaques today as I usually just throw them in a drawer. Its pretty cool to see that the 4 plaques, and all but 3 of the large ribbons, are from animals. Most of the blues and reds are from eggs and photos
20171229_131723.jpg

Back
Top Bottom