5' or 6' what do you have

Saltiena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Peach Bottom
I am currently about to put up the fence and am wondering, what hight is your fence and how did you put it up, how many, posts per foot(1 post every 3 ft) i am also seeing many ways on how you put up the fence, how did you guys do it? i know already my fence will be 14'x8', is that ok for about 20 bantam hens, thell be free ranging most of the time. just a'wondering
wink.png

Rachel D.

Last edited:
Standard chickens needs about 10 square feet per bird of outdoor space to be comfortable. Bantams need less, like about 6-8 square feet. What you have seems fine. I put up 6' metal T-posts about every 5-8 feet with 5' high welded wire fence. I didn't use chicken wire because it tends to rust fast. What I did was drive a post and attached the end of my fence to that post with wire in three spots (top, middle and bottom). Then drove posts where I had a corner or thought it needed stability, wiring the fence to the posts as I go.

6 foot posts with 5 foot fence?

How far did you drive the post into the ground? Do you have 1 foot of fence above the post?

Will 5 foot fence keep them in(uncovered)? I had heard six but I really do not want to put 6 foot fence up.

I have 6' tall chain link and chicken wire and hard wire sides with hardwire roof supported on 2x4 'frame'. My DH has to duck, but its just right for me!
Here are some pics of the run I recently finished as an expansion project.
The shed is soon to become the new coop, and I have a little 'tunnel' and ramp for their entrance.
Heres a view from east to west:
HPIM1045.jpg

And this is the view from west to east:
HPIM1044.jpg

Last edited:
Ours came used LOL so it came with the posts every four feet, and we kept it that way.

But.. the fence height was only 4ft and has a roof on it. That would NOT DO! I refuse to bend bend! So.. now it's 6ft. LOL!

Mudhen, it look s like a wooded area, or some tall trees around. Do you have any problem with sticks on your roof?

It looks like an increadible place for chickens. I cant wait to build mine.

Back
Top Bottom