5 year old Barred Rock laying almost every day!

Nofowlplay

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
In the backyard
:yaMy 5 year old Plymouth Barred Rock has been laying an egg almost every day this spring! This is a girl that laid a lash egg a couple years ago(gave antibiotics) and has been down a couple times with mystery illnesses over the years. I think my Buff Orp might have snuck one in but all the others are definitely hers! This is good because of my other 2 hens 1 is broody and 1 had a malformed egg the other day that I had to extract by hand. So she is off laying for awhile. Those 2 are Polish girls.
It's almost like my Barred Rock girl knew and has stepped up to the plate!:love
eggs.JPG

She didn't lay many eggs last year at all...so I'm so thrilled for the 2 of us!

Last edited:
:yaMy 5 year old Plymouth Barred Rock has been laying an egg almost every day this spring! This is a girl that laid a lash egg a couple years ago(gave antibiotics) and has been down a couple times with mystery illnesses over the years. I think my Buff Orp might have snuck one in but all the others are definitely hers! This is good because of my other 2 hens 1 is broody and 1 had a malformed egg the other day that I had to extract by hand. So she off laying for awhile. Those 2 are Polish girls.
It's almost like my Barred Rock girl knew and has stepped up to the plate!:loveView attachment 1412334
She didn't lay many eggs last year at all...so I'm so thrilled for the 2 of us!
They can surprise you sometimes. I'm personally surprised you have a broody Polish hen. That is unusual.

Doesn’t surprise me that she is still laying well at this age. Heritage and pure breeds may not lay as many eggs a year as sex links or production strains but they will lay for more than 4 years, where as most sexlinks are spent by then. My friend has 5 nine year old Orpingtons who still lay 1-2 eggs each a week.

Doesn’t surprise me that she is still laying well at this age. Heritage and pure breeds may not lay as many eggs a year as sex links or production strains but they will lay for more than 4 years, where as most sexlinks are spent by then. My friend has 5 nine year old Orpingtons who still lay 1-2 eggs each a week.
That is great! I was always led to believe that they were about done after 2-3 years! I wish my Buff Orp would start up again on a regular basis!

That is great! I was always led to believe that they were about done after 2-3 years! I wish my Buff Orp would start up again on a regular basis!
The first 2-3 years are generally the best but then production peters out after each molt, but they will stay lay. Someone on BYC only hatches eggs from 5+ year old hens to get chicks that will lay well.

Last edited:
I hope Bossy can keep laying at that age. She is 15 months old and gives me 6 eggs per week. RIR and Easter Egger do also. The other 6 should come on line in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom