50/50 Fertility

deeszoo

Songster
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
I have some Pilgrims. I was supposed to have 2 pair, but one of my girls turns out to be a boy. I know, I know.... But he was girl colored as a gosling, and has lots of gray on her/him. AND his eyes were dark, until breeding season. So, this spring I discovered I have 3 boys and a girl.

My goose is mostly gray, so out of the 3 boys I chose the almost completely white gander. I have the one that has lots of gray, one that has quite a bit of gray on his wings, and one that is almost completely white. My fertility, since I moved out the other 2, has been about 50%.

This is their first spring. Is that bad? I was considering getting rid of the other 2 ganders, but now I am not sure. I don't know what their fertility is because I gave away those eggs, and the hatch got ruined. They were put under a broody and she broke about halfway through. I didn't find out until she had been up for a couple of weeks.

What do you guys think? Keep two ganders? Or, just keep the white one?

Thanks!

Dee

Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but with the low fertility, I wasn't sure.

Dee

Do they have access to a pool for breeding? Breeding success and fertility rates go up with geese that have access to water. Also fertility rates and breeding success goes up as geese mature.

I would just keep the white gander as well unless you are planning to get more females. Three ganders to one female is not a good thing.

Yes, they have access to a pool. She had bonded to a different gander previously, but seems okay with this one now.

I moved the other two ganders out to a different pen. I did not realize I had 3 ganders until they started fighting. The two seem to get along fine, now that there is no female to fight over.

My biggest concern was the fertility. I had not gotten rid of the other 2 ganders, in case this one was infertile. I am hoping that he will be better when he gets older!

Thanks for your input!

Dee

Back
Top Bottom