5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Quote:
I know its not my hardware,,,,I post pics on other forums,,No issues.. maybe there are not enough hamster to keep the wheel turning,,,,,HAHAHA
Try using Chrome or Firefox browser. Those are working fine for everyone that I know of. That's what my tech advised :D. Google hamsters get cheese so they are happy

Ron - Are you actively working on an "Olive Egger" breed? Cool!

While thinking about those terms a little while ago, I thought about my breeders. I am very early in my program and don't even have any F1's yet. I have breeder birds from a breeder that has been raising chickens for many, many years. I have no idea what generation the birds are that I purchased from him (F37?) but as soon as I hatch some chicks from them, cull with MY eye, and select the ones I will use as next years breeders, they will be my F1 birds. Even though they will be from his stock, without his experience, and preferences making the determination on who stays and who goes, they are no longer his line. It is really misleading for someone to say, "I have the John Doe line of show quality _(_insert breed here_) and I have been raising them for the past five years." Well, if they have been selectively bred without the direct input of John Doe, they are no longer his line. It would be more accurate to say, "This is a line of birds that I started five years ago with a John Doe pair (or trio, or a five bird flock.") The buyer must understand that just because the birds are descended from proven show birds, or were hatched from proven show birds, or even came from the farm of a proven breeder, that is no guarantee that they will produce offspring of equal quality. There are too many variables in poultry genetics.

Very true and that's one of the confusing things about chickens figure if you don't mind hatching in winter you could pretty much have 2 generations each year and who knows how bad someone can mess up a blood line within 5 years.

The more I think about chickens and standards and showing and breeds the more I want to go grab a beer lol.

Just for fun.............Wind eggs from a LF hen....and a little Serama

hehe wind eggs what kind of ladies are you raiseing over there? Mine are refined and don't pass no wind. They also don't sweat they glow.
lol.png

I want to know is whynto pics,,, is the site not big enough for us,,,i don't see the little barr up top for pics...and not sending pic to someone else to post,,,,Where is you TECH,,, this site is huge with poopload of advertiser and sponsors,,,,<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisher1000

AKFS - I think it just growing pains, be patient, they usually get the bugs worked out in a couple of hours or days........ I haven't been able to post pics for a couple of weeks, but I feel fairly sure the issue is with my hardware, not BYC.........

What are you viewing BYC With? I do not have access to a Mac--they are at work but Google Chrome and Fire fox on my PCs have been working fine.

I will see if the link to insert a picture pops up on my Nook Color. It uses a default browser and an old Android OS. It is three years old so it is ancient....

I know I can post on my windows 7 with IE or Chrome. Don't think I have firefox any more. I can post with my phone but that's one pic at a time. I haven't tried ipad yet though.

By day eight you're good to cull. Thanks for the pic! They don't get wet from the water in the trays do they?

My water was just under the top of the trough so it wouldn't spill out with turning, and I watched for the ones with pointy ends sitting in the trough and none of them touched. I am refilling the water today, but probaby just to 2/3 full. My humidity stays around 31% which is what the house is.

I will be culling two of my biggest eggs tonite...a little sad because one is my RIR over BR, and the other is RIR over mystery mama...which gives me a jumbo wrinkly egg daily and its my best tasting egg. I'm stash and don't share those with the dogs or family (but hey, I feed them!)
big_smile.png
I think I have two more of each, though...so still some hope.

Woke up in the middle of the night (end day 7) and was no longer drowsy from my epidural, so I candled again and I think I will be culling 5 tonite. I can't believe how FAST they grow! They went from pencil eraser size to blueberries in one day!!! AND they were wiggling around in there!!! I gently tapped the ones that were still and they started swimming! Just so amazing to experience this miracle!
jumpy.gif

And thank you Ron and everybody in this hatch...being distracted by BYC threads like this make it easier to stay away from the bator!

I know I can post on my windows 7 with IE or Chrome. Don't think I have firefox any more. I can post with my phone but that's one pic at a time. I haven't tried ipad yet though.

IE only goes to 10 on an XP computer. About 10% of all macs cannot upgrade past OXs 10.6. Safari updates to a point with OS level and then stops updating to the new version.

Computers that cannot update IE or Safari need to use FireFox or Google Chorme. They will become increasing limited in what they can access and of course this becomes a security problem. Apple provides patches and updates two levels below the current OS or 10.7 now. Microsoft is ending update support for XP in April.

Can we all say Identity theft?

Questions:

If I have a black laced RIR over barred rock, will they have sex-link chicks?

Since we are not supposed to open the bator often during lockdown, if you have multiple breeds in there and want to 'label' them, how do you do it? Should I number my eggs at last cull and take notes of what each chick looks like as they hatch...or leave the bator in the bathroom, run the shower for humidity, and open quick to pull 2-3 out at a time and leg band them? I have 8+ types of eggs in there!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom