5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Ron - Are you actively working on an "Olive Egger" breed? Cool!

While thinking about those terms a little while ago, I thought about my breeders. I am very early in my program and don't even have any F1's yet. I have breeder birds from a breeder that has been raising chickens for many, many years. I have no idea what generation the birds are that I purchased from him (F37?) but as soon as I hatch some chicks from them, cull with MY eye, and select the ones I will use as next years breeders, they will be my F1 birds. Even though they will be from his stock, without his experience, and preferences making the determination on who stays and who goes, they are no longer his line. It is really misleading for someone to say, "I have the John Doe line of show quality _(_insert breed here_) and I have been raising them for the past five years." Well, if they have been selectively bred without the direct input of John Doe, they are no longer his line. It would be more accurate to say, "This is a line of birds that I started five years ago with a John Doe pair (or trio, or a five bird flock.") The buyer must understand that just because the birds are decended from proven show birds, or were hatched from proven show birds, or even came from the farm of a proven breeder, that is no guarantee that they will produce offspring of equal quality. There are too many variables in poultry genetics.

I remember a discussion like this from another thread. The take away for me was to make sure to keep track of what the historic line is so that you can breed back without introducing too many new faults in the offspring of the introduction of new blood.

My OEs are Crele Penedesenca crossed with Cream Legbar. They were a winter special last year. CLs are Auto sexing and CPenes are something like 85% autosexing. The first generation of the cross is auto sexing. I only have a Crele pene boy so I am breeding back to the OEs. Yes I only hatched pullets.....

I will have to think about what the next cross is and how to keep them auto sexing.

I want to know is whynto pics,,, is the site not big enough for us,,,i don't see the little barr up top for pics...and not sending pic to someone else to post,,,,Where is you TECH,,, this site is huge with poopload of advertiser and sponsors,,,,<<What give .?

on the outside. I dont want to mess with the eggs any more right now but next time I open it I'll take a picture. its almost like a pimple. idk how to explain it. should i just.take that egg out now? cuz it almost looked like the air cell was moving when I moved the egg even slightly.

KFS - I think it just growing pains, be patient, they usually get the bugs worked out in a couple of hours or days........ I haven't been able to post pics for a couple of weeks, but I feel fairly sure the issue is with my hardware, not BYC.........

I started to stay out of this, but I thought I might be able to help both of you. Let's first get on the same page with our terms.

F1 (generation 1) = the offspring of the first deliberate mating in a line with an end result in mind. This can be any pure breed that crosses lines or even an established line where a particular change or goal is sought. It also includes crossing different breeds and even "barnyard mixes" if you are starting a structured breeding project.

F2 (generation 2) = the offspring of an F1 and any other bird that progresses the line toward the intended goal.

EE (Easter Egger) = any bird of any breed or cross of breeds that lays a tinted egg. This is a general term and not a breed. It usually refers to birds that lay blue or green eggs, but there are many other colors, tints, etc. included in the very broad term. I have had Ameraucana crosses that layed tan, pink, yellowish, creamy, blue, and many shades of green or blue/green. They were all EE's.

OE (Olive Eggers) = any bird which lays an olive green egg or is being used in a project to produce a bird that lays olive green eggs.

Now, if someone says they have an F2 OE, all that tells you is that they are on their second generation of breeding to get olive green eggs. That's all it means. Hopefully, the eggs laid by that hen will have a darker green color than the egg she came out of, but the proof will be in the eggs produced. If they are not dark enough for the 'breeders' taste, then that F2 would likely be bred back to a BCM or other dark brown egg laying bird for an even darker olive green egg in F3.

Clear as mud?
Thanks. I don't mind people getting in and pointing out flaws in my logic or lack there of. I'm still new and learning. I do how ever feel that the system is kinda flawed. If you go to buy an F2 OE from someone you really don't know where they started out at. They could have started out with any color of your ee egg layer as a rooster and crossed over dark egg hen and called that F1 an OE. It's just weird set up where you don't know what you will get any where due to no standards of starting points on calling stuff F1's when going for a set thing like olive egger.

Back
Top Bottom