5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

BRAHMA...as requested...here is my top layer in the Brinsea 20, with 7 in the carton. There is room for 5 more small to med eggs on top as well as 3-4 more in the lower right corner if needed. And more if I used a smaller therm... I could get 40+ in there...however come hatching time there would be little space I think...so I would never pack it that full unless I had a second bator for hatching. Note that the white eggs are

small...I'm hoping from a newer layer and not banties.

I have the larger eggs in the bottom. My two greens are in the lower left and upper right corners.
love.gif
So after I cull, hopefully everybody will fit in the bottom. I may leave the tray out and put in shelf liner that keeps dishes from sliding around-the kind with holes in it, for hatching.

Loving this Brinsea and it appears to be easy to clean. I want to candle again but just had an epidural injection today and would probably drop eggs with the lovely meds they put in my IV.

If there are definite clears with no veining...can I cull some tomorrow night (day 8) or is that too soon?
By day eight you're good to cull. Thanks for the pic! They don't get wet from the water in the trays do they?

It is a cold, slushy morning here this Saturday. We are setting up our Christmas tree and getting ready for my daughter birthday next week.
smile.png
I have noticed with the live tree in the house now the humidity it higher in the house, I am watching the bator to make sure everything stays stable there. Happy Saturday all.

Not so happy Saturday here, one I'm working and 2 there is a snow storm roaring outside that I will have to drive home in

That may be correct in what your saying. But from my understanding an F1 OE is any Blue egg layer x Dark Brown egg layer. The most common cross is Amerauncana x BCM. But that isn't the only cross. People even use green egg layers x dark brown egg layers still creating an F1 OE. Just because one of the parents is a mixed breed and lays color eggs that doesn't make the parent the F1 and offspring F2. Again I have limited knowledge but this is what I get from reading through about Olive Eggers. And yes my pullets mother chicken is a Hatchery EE not Ameraucana. I do also have Legbars but no plans to cross them to the BCMs.
From what I understand no pure breed lays a green egg. So any that have a green would be an f1 or brown egg layer in it's past making it not a pure breed so an ee. Now it could be a project bird trying to get a different color in which case you would be tryign to get back to blue egg not leave it green. I could be wrong here I just cant find anything but ee's that lay a green egg.

I guess if you didn't breed the green egg layer and you bought it then crossed with dark brown it would be an f1. I guess it depends on where you want to start the project at. For me my green egg layers would be F1's cause I'm takeing a pure blue gene bird and mixing with light brown to make the green egg off spring. Now if I sold the green egg layer and they breed it to another brown dark or light they could say they're off spring is a F1 also because it's they're first time breeding it. But if I did that it would be an F2. This is why I consider EE's an F# already because someone mixed a pure with something else to get that off spring even if the buyer didn't.

Once again I'm new to chickens so my thinking could be backwords.

This is the egg chart I have from online that I was using as a guide for breeding the olive eggers. Now you could use an green egg, easter egger and put it where the blue egg is on right side of pic and then your f1 would be in between the F1 and f2 on that side since your project would start darker.

Not so happy Saturday here, one I'm working and 2 there is a snow storm roaring outside that I will have to drive home in

mstricer I pray that you make it home safe, what part of Ohio are you in? I am south western about 50 miles north of Cincinnati.

Back
Top Bottom