5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

All I know is I took the survey but still can not post any pics,,,, PEACE Oh we added a few egg to our hatch. We have ours all sold after hatch,,buahahh<><><>< I told the wife it would work,, You peeps are suckers for fluffy wittle chicks,,,HETEETETEThhh I hope everyone has great hatch rate,,,,,

Send the picture to me: [email protected]

All I know is I took the survey but still can not post any pics,,,, PEACE Oh we added a few egg to our hatch. We have ours all sold after hatch,,buahahh<><><>< I told the wife it would work,, You peeps are suckers for fluffy wittle chicks,,,HETEETETEThhh I hope everyone has great hatch rate,,,,,

If you cant add pics to post you can e-mail them to me at [email protected] include user name on here and count and i'll post for you then reply with the post # so you can check it out

ChickenCanoe, when you built your hover brooder, how and where did you attach the lights? I am one of those people with a blind spot when it comes to construction (DH is the opposite but I can't run the idea by him until I know exactly what I want ... so maybe he would build it for me ...) so I need to understand what I want the end product to look like and how I want it to function. Are there guards around the bulbs? Are they far from the top or floor?
There are good step by step instructions with a good picture of the underside in figure 3 on this page.
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/hkmw/downloads/46524.pdf
Mine are 24X48 and 32X48 just because those are the dimensions of material I had on hand. The top is 1/2 inch plywood and the sides are 3/8. The lights don't have a guard. The fixtures need to be porcelain. I also added 2 light switches so I could choose which lamp to light and a duplex receptacle I can plug one into the other to get the power or plug something else in. Just make sure the wire is sufficient to handle any possible load.
I like the ceramic infrared emitters because they're not as prone to breaking and don't hurt anything if they do. I've only had one break in half but it was no big deal. I've had a lot of lamps break. They're also nice so you can control day length with another light. The drawback is you have to feel for heat under the hover to see if they're working.

I guess we should be thankful we don't have to go to the store and buy eggs! I have had that happen when I didn't have this many birds. Still it sucks to be paying so much for feed and get so little for your money!
somad.gif
I had to buy eggs late this summer for the first time in years.

Last year I had a beagle get into a pen and scare the daylights out of the chickens. I got 1 good egg and 1 shell less egg that day and not another for 2 months. There were 12 hens in that coop and it was summer.

okay and also I noticed my feed store has corrid, is that a treatment just in case?
thank you! I read storeys guide to raising chickens and learned so much! I think I will look into that book! Thanks
It is good to have Corid on hand. It is amprolium. I have the liquid since that's all the farm and home had when I needed it this summer.

You are funny! and just out of curiosity...who is coming by for 'local pick-up' to Alaska? I would....but not till August.

Are you uploading the pics to your profile and saving them there first?

Ok now this is where it gets confusing and i think hatcheries have a hand in it. They sum up any blue-green egg layer as an EE. But an EE is an f1 cross, of pure blue gene bird and any other color examples would be like ameraucana crossed with leg horn or cream legbar crossed with bcm's. So if your crossing an EE f1 with bcm would make the F2 you have there then you crossed the F2 with bcm again making an F3 olive egger.

Now if your calling your pure ameraucana an ee then yes that bird you have would be an F1 OE.

This is the way it was explained to me as EE's are mutts/crosses and don't breed true to standard.

That may be correct in what your saying. But from my understanding an F1 OE is any Blue egg layer x Dark Brown egg layer. The most common cross is Amerauncana x BCM. But that isn't the only cross. People even use green egg layers x dark brown egg layers still creating an F1 OE. Just because one of the parents is a mixed breed and lays color eggs that doesn't make the parent the F1 and offspring F2. Again I have limited knowledge but this is what I get from reading through about Olive Eggers. And yes my pullets mother chicken is a Hatchery EE not Ameraucana. I do also have Legbars but no plans to cross them to the BCMs.

So I candled (I know it's early) and have veining in almost all my silkie eggs! My comets lay super dark brown eggs so it's really hard to see in them. My AM eggs threw me off because blue eggs are weird (for me at least)! Will try to wait til day 7. Maybe....

Back
Top Bottom