6 Aussie puppys doing good, Bandit is now forsale!!

Don't be upset about the accidental breeding. It can be extremely difficult to keep a female away from her guy.

This is just advice, only one persons opinion: I would have her spayed right away. Even if I didn't have the money, I'd work out a payment plan with my vet or go to the local shelter for help. I'm sure they'd rather help with a spay than have 8 puppies dumped on their door step. The reason I'd have her spayed is because she is not a good candidate for improving the breed. Irregular heat cycles would be a huge deal for me. As well as the chance of the puppies being affected by the double merle gene. We do a lot of line breeding here so the fact that your dogs share similar ancestery is not necessarily a bad thing. Athough, there is a chance that a recessive gene will show up that could potentially be negative. You should understand a little about the lines that you are breeding in order not to have negative recessive genes pop up unexpectedly.

I know some of you have loved and cared for a dog with disabilities. I have tons of respect for you and your devotion to your animal family. However, you people are a rare breed yourselves. It would be extremely difficult to place those puppies. And if the OP is having a hard time coming up with the funds for a spay, then what would happen if they were faced with delivery complications? Or, puppies requiring serious medical attention? Not to mention all the additional costs just to raise healthy puppies to 8 weeks.

I have to confess that I did not take the time to read this whole thread (my dog died during the night and I do not have very good focus at the moment) but I am going to respond anyway.

Speaking only about the relatives in the pedigree (completely disregarding merle genetics and that your female's "feminine health" is a bit off), that is not a problem. Most serious breeders like to see some linebreeding, which is, strictly speaking, inbreeding of a lesser degree. When carried out properly it can really increase the likelihood of desirable traits. It can, of course, also increase the incidence of not-so-desirable traits. This is where knowing the breed and your dogs comes into play.

Speaking as to everything else (the health of your girl and the strong potential for merle-to-merle genetic issues), I agree that it is probably best to spay her ASAP. It sounds like it is the best thing for her. If she is not completely healthy (and it sounds like something is off since her cycles are not normal) it could be really hard on her to carry and raise puppies. It may increase the risk of having sickly puppies, losing the whole litter, and even losing your girl. In this case, I do not think it is worth the risk.

I don't really have any advise on this one....But more so a question or two....
Merle to Merle?? I dont' understand why that's bad...I am not a 'dog breeder' so it's probably an obious answer...I am just a bit slow when figuring these things out....

Deaf dogs?? why would that be a cause to be put down...I know many many people who have dogs that are deaf. They are very loyal and wonderful dogs. Yes, I have heard of the pure white dogs having more of a chance of being deaf, but that doesn't mean they would need to be put down...Or am I reading more into it than there really is?? Just curious as I didnt' understand...

Gosh, it is tough. My best friend worked in a kennel in the past that bred Aussies and Border Collies and I've heard all the stories about merle to merle breedings.
Personally, I wouldn't abort the litter. They may turn out just fine, you just don't know. And seriously there are many people out there who would take a disabled puppy. My husband and I took a severely disabled husky puppy last year who had only one eye, water on the brain, etc. She was the happiest puppy and while we only had her a month before she took a turn for the worse, she certainly deserved the chance at life.
I haven't looked at where you are but I would take a deaf or blind puppy without a second thought. Many deaf pups make AMAZING obeidience dogs because they cannot hear distractions and only have eyes for their owner.

The merle gene causes alot of defects in the puppies not all of them are quaranteed to have them but its a def possibility. Its only when you breed two merles together that these problems show up. Some of the puppies that are born will have excessive white (color is not an issue) but that shows the ones that may have the problems deaf being the main one, then like someone else mentioned there dog was born without eyes, Eye problems are another problem. Expecially in Aussies they pron to eye porblems even in a normal litter.

One more thing that bothers me in my situation and I'm not sure if it even matters but the male that I have came from a merle to merle litter he was one of the healthy puppies but does that mean that maybe his offspring will be more apt to have the problems.

I really think that I will take her as soon as she comes out to be spayed for her health and my sanity, I cant stand the thought of precious puppies being born and me having to make the decision to decided if i think they will suffer or having them put down.

Thanks for all the imput and support I've gotten you guys are great!

Last edited:
Yes, I would be more concerned if Daddy came from a Merle to Merle litter himself...

Do what your heart tells you, regaurdless of what anyone here says.
hugs.gif

Quote:
merle to merle causes defects, sometimes severe. I do know it is very hard to *place* a deaf dog, not to mention having to do it to most of a litter.
I agree with Mom 2em All, I would spay asap....
I did that with a cat we rescued, with her brother. She came into heat and he grabbed her. These cats already had *issues*, the most responsible thing to do was the spay.
Good luck!

Spaying her now is still a very good option. But likely, most of the pups will be just fine- a lot of breeders do this "inbreeding" to keep desirable traits and breed out the less desirable. Deaf/blind dogs make great pets.

You said that she was breed with her first heat and she has irregualr heats. She didnt take with her first heat. Maybe she didnt take with the second. She might be the one that cant conceave. That would be nice for you. She should be fixed now or after a litter . JUst for health reasons alone. It is hard on everyone including her when she is in heat. Not to mention the males around her.

Back
Top Bottom