HOW did Some of your Flock/pets get it's name

Diamond Peno

Songster
Mar 27, 2015
Sinnamahoning PA
I had posted a thread on here called Whats in a name where you tell me you chicken/ducks or flocks name (an could include other pets too.) Some have put little notes on they did a theme or they did food related or personality... but some still have be baffled as to HOW did that one come about and some of the stories have me and others rolling, crying an saying awwww.
YOU don't have to name all your pets but the ones that got them special names for that special reason may it be funny, rescue or what not. I will start an you can add pictures if you like

Chicken Bona Crowy: RIP: Cochin Rooster. Everyone thought I called him Crowy because he always crowed but that was not the case to start with it was a joke because it was not till he was almost a year OLD did he 1st crow lol. It was at 1st him and his sister (lady Cluck Cluck as play on lady Gaga lol but she passed on her 1st egg laying :(. His name at 1st was just Chicken Bono then chicken Alfredo but never answered t either so I started to call him never crowy.... lol Fox got him
Rocky Balboa: recused Aussie shepherd: Is crippled up and had some hip problems had toes removed from frost bite BUT his toes were born from what the vet can tell messed up on his back end.. BUT it never slowed him down he kept n fighting and still dose like his name sake. He truly shows you can;t keep a good dog down. :)
Lean Too: RIP Cripple Peking Duck. Had him for almost 6 year. came in to a mom/pop feed store all crippled looking and they called me. did not have the heart to put him down/out. he leaned to the side and went in circles when he got excited and had to be watched when in water he did not drowned but he was a good little duck. at 4 he was blind but got around still fine like he was not amazing animals. He was a house duck lived IN our tub at our old place and when we moved WE found and old tub cleaned it up and put it down in the cellar next t the window for him and he could roam the floors (cement is easy to clean up as he was paper trained but when he went blind he had a little harder time finding it.) he did go out side but had to watch as he has allergies. lol and could treat him with benadrly at times but mostly herbal as he had reactions to things.
Willow: My 1st ever Pot belly Pig that I had always wanted. My grandfather got me one when I was in high school one summer. after we both watch Charlotte's Web lol. BUT my dad threw a HUGE fit. SO my gramps said he would keep it at his house. WELL my gram threw a fit. even though it was house trained and never caused a problem (she just hated animals in general) well he found a family for it and they said they had pigs before and all and a few months later he found out it passed away... SO I grew up and said to my self I am getting a pig. and I did. She is not a he and named Willow not Wilber BUT middle name is Charolett after the movie and an old dog I had name Charlotte as well lol. She is trained like my rescue aussie and serves dog for search and rescue (mostly for lost pets but will track human sent) an is my ESA or in trained takes longer for a pig and I am picky on my training.)
Han Solo: My Serves Dog who was a rescue. family tradition is to name dogs after star wars and his name was happy but he never responded to that with us. SO I started to call him Han. I Originally got him to work with him to adopt him out BUT he found his home with me an in return rescued me. He is 10 and I got him at age 2. I found his original owners as in his mom/dad doggy parents and there were genetic issues BUT luckily HE never got any of them. He shows his age at times like I do BUT he asks so much like a young pup every day. Like Ol han solo as in he still got it lol.
Spaz and Nimrod: 2 young hens and them names should say it all. I love them they are lovable BUT they can be a pain in the arsenic some times lol.
Cheeky: a Golden Comment hen who is well as her name say. since she got older she has mellowed some but was once like spaz and nimrod lol.
Mercedes: My Dixie Rainbow as I always wanted one lol as in the car... so I named a chicken that instead. I had one called Ferrari but the fox got her :(
Crush, and Speed Bump (RIP) 2 rescue turtles we found hit on the road to bad to return to the wild they were really old when found and we had them for a long time before they passed.
Spinning Ninja: Still have him. Old box turtle about 40 now. had him 10 years have relisted him and he has always managed to find him way back eventually worse then he was released lol.
Skid Mark: RIP another turtle we rescued and was on her was to recovery took a turn for the worst.
Mrs. Yellow Eyes: she is the female toad that lives under my back porch. people ask me HOW do I know its her and not one that looks like her. well I do. I can tell by her markings, she lets me pet her. she is not afraid of the dogs, pigs. Also my aussie shep is scared to death of snakes and toads except her. he will whine an go nuts to go see her and she will not hop away from him. nature it neat.
Red: a Chipping Sparrow that comes into my parents bait shop and eats out of your hand
Kit: a Cat bird that dose that same as Red.
Tucky Turkey: my 1st ever turkey and I LOVE him. HE IS NOT A HOUSE TURKEY (shakes head silently yes he is. lol) he goes outside but inside at night still a baby) He is scared of the chickens right now BUT LOVES ducks. he is ok with baby chicks and baby duckling and is VERY protective of them. even pecks the crap out of me I make them cheep to much lol. He will NO poop on me. have fallen asleep many night in my rocking chair with him and the cat on my lap an I wake up he is there sound asleep. I think he gets down potties in the cage or on his paper and gets back up. His full name is Tuckahoe after the Tuckahoe Indian's I wanted something different. I want to use him for animal education for both wild and pet and then when we talk about the balled head I can talk about vultures then got to other birds.... he is as large as my roosters BUT still not sure of the chicken and they not of him. BUT the ducks all love him lol. so we are working on that. and we have been trying since he was 2 months old to get them use to him (in a cage so they could see him but not hurt him) still everyone is like wt???? lol.
Quackers and Wobbles 2 little handicapped ducks their names speak for them selves lol. Tucky Turkey is their protector he LOVES them ducks lol.
Flash: a new born duckling. never seen a duck pick and zip and pop out of his egg and try to walk so fast he was out of his egg in 20 mins and trying to walk in 5 lol. not very good but he was trying to walk lol. about a half hr later semi dry and walking a little better he was up trying to dart around. so flash is was. His buddy was mellow as it took him 8 hrs to hatch out then another 5 to get around lol.
Yokers. was born 2 days early. by the next day its yoke was almost dry but he was eating/drinking with flash an mellow. BUT he will run an do summer-salts.....???? was thinking of calling him her summer-salts or clown BUT he/she YOKES me up to much... lol.
Fat Boy Jr aka Bubba: Named after his dad fat boy who is a rooster. not as large as his dad but sorta looks very similar to him.
Male Man: Old Gray an White cat I had when I was little. My mom told me when the cat had kittens I could have one (we were moving and my aunt was gonna take the mom after kittens were adopted out and get her fixed mom and dad with moving could not BUT I wanted a kitten) so mom said ok pick out a MALE. i was like what is that. mom said a male cat is a man like you dad and brother... hence that is what i called the cat.... lol. but kinda funny that the mail man had gray/white uniforms lol.
Mish Mish Mara Dish: It was my brothers dog an he named her and where he came up with that name I have no clue. BUT when she had pups I picked a pup an called it valcor from the never ending story.. only its was Falcor BUT I thought they were saying Valcor lol.
D.C. : Cat, like the old and new Disney movie (That Darn Cat) He is a good cat so it mostly stands Darn Cute but when he is bad which is VERY seldom the worn DARN is replaced lol.
Gremlin: I was watching the germlins and my one gray kitten was fasinated with them when they came on... SO I started to call him gremlin and he wagged his tail like a dog. Till this day he wags his tail and nips at you lol.
Mushu: Bengal mix. named after the little dragon off of Mulan.... as i love the name and that dragon but mostly call him Moo or moomers as he is a fat cat an not even a year old and larger then his dad.... He comes to mushu bit moo or moomers better or mini max (his dads name is max or little tiger lol
Key Key: Technically its Whiskey Mushu's sisters name BUT she only listens to that name when in trouble lol. other then that she listens to key key which is like saying kitty as in kee kee. lol. She is a tiny thing compared to him and I think part squirrel lol.
Butters: My hairless Dumbo Rat... His full name is butter ball as in like the fat butter ball turkey. lol his mom gave birth to only him... 1st time ever for my rats. lol. He was SO big I though I would have to take her to the vet and get her a C section and hope I could get her there in time. But they both made it.
Larry, Moe and Curly Joe: my 3 stooges Rats. They were the only 3 born IN the litter an we were going with IZombie themes But when I seen all were males and one was Rex (curly coat) the 3 stooges popped into my head) and they are a hand full and remind me of them in play. :)
Mr. J (the Joker Rat) I was joking when I was going to call him that saying he will only LOVE me an be my rat an like no one else... well he is just that way. My hubby can handle him to get him out to clean the cage but an more time then that he squirms to get down and will take off to find me. IF I am not here he will hide in something of mine like a house coat or under a chair till I come home lol although none of his offspring HAVE ever been like that...lol
Lilla Vän: which is Swedish for little friend. Blue Swedish duck drake. He was small for so long an took forever to develop to go outside with his older brother. Something got his brother right before winter though. He survived a snake bite which made his little lip more but and he more tired at times but he was a tough old bird. But alas I found him passed on one day. I used him for animal Education as loved car ride he would hop in a box or pet bed and ride for hrs never poop and sleep most of the way lol an while there no mater how much water never make that much of a mess. BUT when home OH boy lol.
Smudge: A baby Grackle some one found an brought to me. He was so ugly but cute lol. He was this smudgy gray smoke color. His head was half balled like a vulture and just funny look. He was a smudgy looking bird for sure. But turned into a beautiful adult. I raised him and did return him to wild and he stuck around. He returned hurt bad one day and never again wanted to go back outside. he was scared to death to go outside even in his cage. He was scared of thunder, fireworks and any really loud noises. He passed on suddenly a few months after we moved. Have not a clue as to why though. I called him My Maleficence bird as he could be a pain in the butt at times lol.
Here are just a few pictures.

Attachments

• charolettbabyleantoo.jpg
    charolettbabyleantoo.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 16
  • crowy.jpg
    crowy.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FatboyandBubba.jpg
    FatboyandBubba.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 7
  • gremlin.jpg
    gremlin.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 7
  • leantoo1.jpg
    leantoo1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Mrsyelloweyes.jpg
    Mrsyelloweyes.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Mushu.jpg
    Mushu.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 6
  • Rocky.jpg
    Rocky.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Smudge.jpg
    Smudge.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 6
  • TuckyandDC.jpg
    TuckyandDC.jpg
    565.1 KB · Views: 7
  • tuckyandducks.jpg
    tuckyandducks.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • Valcor.jpg
    Valcor.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 6
  • van.jpg
    van.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 7
  • whiskey.jpg
    whiskey.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 6
  • WillowandHan.jpg
    WillowandHan.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 6
  • willowhanrocky.jpg
    willowhanrocky.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
Wow that's a lot of animals!
I have six chickens and two dogs.
My chickens have boring names because my mother and my sister-in-law named them. I have a gold laced Wyandotte named Dottie, a blue Andalusian named Blue, a black star named Star, a olive egger named Olive, a Calico princess named Princess, and a white leghorn named Penny. Because according to my mom you should always have a chicken named Penny. I wanted to name them after Chinese food.:(
The Chihuahua was rescued from a nurse, her name is Antigen. We just call her Genny. I have a pug puppy, who I named Wasabi. He's the one in my avatar. He's also my username: Pug-sabi.

Wow that's a lot of animals!
I have six chickens and two dogs.
My chickens have boring names because my mother and my sister-in-law named them. I have a gold laced Wyandotte named Dottie, a blue Andalusian named Blue, a black star named Star, a olive egger named Olive, a Calico princess named Princess, and a white leghorn named Penny. Because according to my mom you should always have a chicken named Penny. I wanted to name them after Chinese food.:(
The Chihuahua was rescued from a nurse, her name is Antigen. We just call her Genny. I have a pug puppy, who I named Wasabi. He's the one in my avatar. He's also my username: Pug-sabi.

OMG I love the name Wasabi and PUGS are so cute. my friend has a pug names frank from off the MIB movies lol.
Growing up we always had animals. Mom was always on a farm somewhere as her dad was a logger once that job was done they moved on. she was originally from WV. After while gramps just became a farmer breeding to better pets/working critters as he called them and he could NEVER turn away a hurt animal and rescued a lot. (never breed them as he did not know health background) but as he said DON'T need to breed everything to have it work or help on the farm or heal it up to find it a home. they also help wild critters. My dad sorta had a farm mostly ducks/chickens helps some wild like like wild birds/raccoon and got to feed baby fawns....his grandfather was a wildlife warden.
I think I would go CRAZY with out my pets....lol there were times growing up we have like one dog and a cat lol... but then slowly built back up....

My daughter names most of our animals but my husband and I manage to sneak a few in there too.

Our chickens:
2 Silver Laced Wyandotte are called “Road Runners”. Can’t tell them apart as they look so much alike and they have always been super fast and elusive much like their namesake.

3 Buff Orpingtons we’re named after the “Golden Girls”. The big aggressive chick was Blanche.....go figure she turned out to be a he. My daughter still calls him Blanche but the rest of us renamed him Bob. Rose and Dorthy are the other two.

Our Favaucana is named Gray. We adopted her so she came named.

Our Gold Sex Link is BBQ as she is rather BBQ sauce colored. Plus it is fun to call out BBQ Chicken!

Our Black Sex Link is named Knight. My daughter says she is the Dark Knight......we are also big superhero fans!

We also have 5 Easter Eggers. Lucky as she was the biggest chick & was a pretty Silver color.
Unlucky as she was the smallest and funky grey color when little.
Convict as she was always the first to try for a prison break as a chick.
Chicken Hawk as her coloring reminded us of a Hawk.
And Hudson Hawk as she was also hawk colored and I find the movie entertaining.

Our cats:
Barney the “barn kitty”. He adopted us when we moved here. I started off calling him “ barn kitty” but my husband refused to call him that so he named him Barney.
Polly Pocket who was named after my daughter’s favorite toy at the time. Ironic as she is the biggest, fattest cat I have ever seen.
Olaf Duffenschmertz after Frozen and Phineas & Ferb characters two of my daughter’s favorites at the time.

Our dogs:
Elliot the basset/beagle was adopted with that name.
Pixie the labradoodle names after Tinkerbelle the Pixie because we told my daughter she couldn’t name the dog after her then favorite toy Barbie.
Raggamuffin the Maremma/poodle cross. No idea where my daughter got that one but she knew immediately that was what she wanted to name her.

My mom moved a lot when little. dad never did. I did once when little a few times out on my own then back home here and there and NOW right next TO my parents. lol aint it funny how we or some spend half our life trying to get away from home to live our life to end up living with them or close to them lol.
We have dogs since I was a baby as I had an older brothers and he shared them with me. BUT my very OWN dog I got at 8 years old. I had to train her as in to go out to potty, feed her, and brush and bath her. (mom would feed her and take over when I was at school) and trim her hair and nails till I knew how to better. BUT that dog an me we the best of friends her name was Princess Laya ( like leia from star wars. BUT if you listen even though they spelled it leia they would say laya at times lol)

My daughter names most of our animals but my husband and I manage to sneak a few in there too.

Our chickens:
2 Silver Laced Wyandotte are called “Road Runners”. Can’t tell them apart as they look so much alike and they have always been super fast and elusive much like their namesake.

3 Buff Orpingtons we’re named after the “Golden Girls”. The big aggressive chick was Blanche.....go figure she turned out to be a he. My daughter still calls him Blanche but the rest of us renamed him Bob. Rose and Dorthy are the other two.

Our Favaucana is named Gray. We adopted her so she came named.

Our Gold Sex Link is BBQ as she is rather BBQ sauce colored. Plus it is fun to call out BBQ Chicken!

Our Black Sex Link is named Knight. My daughter says she is the Dark Knight......we are also big superhero fans!

We also have 5 Easter Eggers. Lucky as she was the biggest chick & was a pretty Silver color.
Unlucky as she was the smallest and funky grey color when little.
Convict as she was always the first to try for a prison break as a chick.
Chicken Hawk as her coloring reminded us of a Hawk.
And Hudson Hawk as she was also hawk colored and I find the movie entertaining.

Our cats:
Barney the “barn kitty”. He adopted us when we moved here. I started off calling him “ barn kitty” but my husband refused to call him that so he named him Barney.
Polly Pocket who was named after my daughter’s favorite toy at the time. Ironic as she is the biggest, fattest cat I have ever seen.
Olaf Duffenschmertz after Frozen and Phineas & Ferb characters two of my daughter’s favorites at the time.

Our dogs:
Elliot the basset/beagle was adopted with that name.
Pixie the labradoodle names after Tinkerbelle the Pixie because we told my daughter she couldn’t name the dog after her then favorite toy Barbie.
Raggamuffin the Maremma/poodle cross. No idea where my daughter got that one but she knew immediately that was what she wanted to name her.

lol we had chickens named after the golden girls one one. 3 barred rocks Blanch and Dorthy and a RIR name rose.
I love how you daughter comes up with names. I have two Guinea pigs that I call Count Pigula and Barnaby Pigins lol Just came to for got about them 2 but it was not a supper special name as I did not name all my pets lol just the one that got them names in special ways to me or seemed special or had meaning. lol

We got Maverick at around a year old from the RSPCA (along with Roxy, who we had to take back cause they kept fighting) when his owners couldn't keep him. He is now 17 and still lives up to his namesake, crazy dog! :lau

we also have 5 guinea pigs, Timtam, cause she has a dark brown rectangle on her butt, Snowy, because her 4 year old owner had that name in his head 6 months afore we got them, Teazel, cause she looked like a teasel when we got her, jazed it up with a z though. And RIP Buttons, cause her 7 year old owner thought it suited her. Then 2 days after Buttons died, we got Ruby, cause of her pink eyes, and Rita. Because she, the little midget, looked just like a Rita.
Now for our hens, Belle, Pip and Tinky weren't named that for any special reason, but Jewel was named because she was an especially ugly pullet who needed some glam.
now our chicks. Mini because she was the smallest, and Leaf, Nim and Sherbet dont have any special reason for their names.
now we are convincing mum and dad to get a rabbit. More names to come!

We got Maverick at around a year old from the RSPCA (along with Roxy, who we had to take back cause they kept fighting) when his owners couldn't keep him. He is now 17 and still lives up to his namesake, crazy dog! :lau

we also have 5 guinea pigs, Timtam, cause she has a dark brown rectangle on her butt, Snowy, because her 4 year old owner had that name in his head 6 months afore we got them, Teazel, cause she looked like a teasel when we got her, jazed it up with a z though. And RIP Buttons, cause her 7 year old owner thought it suited her. Then 2 days after Buttons died, we got Ruby, cause of her pink eyes, and Rita. Because she, the little midget, looked just like a Rita.
Now for our hens, Belle, Pip and Tinky weren't named that for any special reason, but Jewel was named because she was an especially ugly pullet who needed some glam.
now our chicks. Mini because she was the smallest, and Leaf, Nim and Sherbet dont have any special reason for their names.
now we are convincing mum and dad to get a rabbit. More names to come!

LOVE IT.
I would be here till next year if I named all the pets and animals I have had and one I have helped out and taken in past and present. this includes rescue from little that i can remember till now and litter (Each other them names an themes) and prego drop offs and babies. lol People seem to think that because my parents bred dogs at one time and lived the country we have room/money to just have more and deal with this problems they caused.... same now where people think because I have a farm an do some selective breeding at times I can afford everything under the sun and have room/time. lol.
I had a Guinea Pig named Buttons. She has a daughter I called Trinket, Trinket had a daughter I called Squeakers gave me a son I called Cosmos. All were black and white in color and Abbys (Abyssinia coat) Cosoms gave me a son who I still have named Hunter who is mostly black with a little tiny bit of white and abby. lol his brother turned out gray and white an american even though the whole line is mostly abby with some american mixed in and they pop up... named William... Long name is Cosmic Boom's Winter War aka William Hunters long name is Cosmic Boom's The Huntsman.
Cosmos FULL name is lol you are gonna so laugh at this one.
DLCR-TCC Constellation Of Lyra K-Pax Two Tone Cosmic Boom (he has his dads name in there. lol.) His dad was named Constellation Of Lyra when I got him and they called him Mr C... but I did not like that SO I called him K-Pax after the movie who talks about that constellation...and just tacked it ON to his name. an called his son Cosmo lol. that could have been another pet to add. lol

Our Buttons was just 2 months old when she died of a fit. She was mainly black with some white and orange. She was also an abbsinian! She belonged to my little sister who now has Ruby (who was a Christmas present, Buttons died either 3 or 5 days before Christmas) Timtam is a normal shorthair, Teazel and Snowy are abbys, Ruby is a sheltie and Rita is a sheba mini yak. Love your pigs. They sound super cute!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom