HOW did Some of your Flock/pets get it's name

My flock is all named after Star Trek characters... 2 SLW Miles and Keiko; a Partidge Rock, B'Elanna; a black Cochin bantam, Tuvok; 6 EE's, Tal Celes, Samantha, Naomi Wildman, Kirk, Kes, and Kathryn; a California Grey, Ro Laren; a Barred Rock, Tasha Yar; 3 Welsummers, Kira, Jadzia, and Dax; and 4 black sex links, K'Ehleyr, Deanna, Beverly, and Guinan.
I also have 3 turkeys, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Uhura (guess which one isn't ending up on the table). Rounding it out, I have 3 dogs, Ruby and Max who came with their names, and Piper who I got when she was still a puppy and I changed her name from Pip Squeak.
Ironically, my last cat was named Cat... Cuz technically she belonged to the neighbor and anyone who naps in my house should have a name...

My flock is all named after Star Trek characters... 2 SLW Miles and Keiko; a Partidge Rock, B'Elanna; a black Cochin bantam, Tuvok; 6 EE's, Tal Celes, Samantha, Naomi Wildman, Kirk, Kes, and Kathryn; a California Grey, Ro Laren; a Barred Rock, Tasha Yar; 3 Welsummers, Kira, Jadzia, and Dax; and 4 black sex links, K'Ehleyr, Deanna, Beverly, and Guinan.
I also have 3 turkeys, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Uhura (guess which one isn't ending up on the table). Rounding it out, I have 3 dogs, Ruby and Max who came with their names, and Piper who I got when she was still a puppy and I changed her name from Pip Squeak.
Ironically, my last cat was named Cat... Cuz technically she belonged to the neighbor and anyone who naps in my house should have a name...

I like star trek we did a like of rats with a trek theme at one time. I had a hairless name Spock lol. Our family tradition is to name the dogs after something from star wars. lol although my brother did not stick with that tradition lol. an he calls me the odd ball of the family lol.

Diamond Peno, brothers are like that !

You haven't met my sister, have you ?

Scaredy cat - self evident
Uncle Jay - his mother was Aunt Jayne
Baby Jayne - her mother was Aunt Jayne
Rattler - has to do with his brain function
Little EZ - his father was Speakeasy
Tee Party - play on politics and his father's name
Ring Tail Rosie - if you saw her you would know why
War Eagle - came from Mr Arapahoe

I have a new chick I now call tumble weed. I think she has mushy chick disease but also splayed legs. she still gets around to eat/drink but when braced she screamed and is to week to move with the brace on. the vet told me till she is a little stronger leave the brace off or put them on for a few hrs a day then take them off. she tumbles around a lot but is a determined one. BUT when I say Tumble Weed she looks at me and I think she likes it. she is Polish/leg horn/ buff orphinton mix

Attachments

• IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I was in the car with my mom when i named my Rhose Island Red, we were thinking of names and just yelled "PIPPI!" and we all went "YES". Her full name is excessively long, so if you want it just think Pippi Longstocking.
When my Easter Egger was a chick, she had black around her eyes and it made her look mysterious so I called her Misty.
And Clementine aka Clemey, may she rest in peace, was a Buff Orpington. Because she was yellowish, we thought she looked a little like a clementine. So that happened.

I have five adult chickens, three eight week old chicks, a bearded dragon, a tortoise and a few deceased pets that still mean a lot to me.
My chickens are pretty simple, i named them after a few things.
Freya- i had always wanted a chicken named Freya, i don't know why but for years probably since i was seven when i first started getting interested in chickens I've wanted a white chicken named Freya because Freya is the mythological Norse goddesses of love, beauty, etc. Ultimately i ended up naming my scruffy Easter egger with a solid black head Freya because of her sweet personality (her inner beauty).
Daisy - Daisy was originally named Pulitzer, mainly because i love Broadway and Newsies is a personal favorite of mine, also Daisy is a little monster. She's very beautiful and top of the pecking order, she's nasty to people, she'll come up and peck at ankles (not out of curiosity, it is malicious intent). I'm not sure why i renamed her, just sort of did. Daisy is an Ameraucana.
Éowyn- Eyo was named after a Lord of the Rings character, "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.” (My favorite quote). Before my Rooster started protecting the flock, Eyo would watch for hawks and warn everybody, sort of made me think of Tolkien's character. Eyo is my second Easter egger.
Rosie - Rosie was also named after a LotR character, Rosie Cotton was a Hobbit in the Shire and she married Samwise Gamgee, Frodo's companion in the quest to destroy the one ring. Rosie is also my favorite hen, she's very sweet but also incredibly stubborn so she can be a bit difficult at times. She's constantly getting herself in trouble, her voice can make her sound a bit like a duck at times so me and my close friends call her Rosie Duck.
Rooster - when i got Roo he was four months old and my parents had forbade me to keep a rooster. I was in denial on roo being a rooster, his original name was Persephone, but after a while when he grew his long sweeping tail feathers i renamed him Rooster thinking it would be ironic to have a hen named Rooster. In the end he turned out to be a boy and i ultimately convinced my parents to let me keep him, though he has been walking a thin wire recently as he's been slightly aggressive towards my chicks, so now he's moving into a bachelor pad in a few weeks to mature a bit more.
Debra - Deb is my porcelain d'uccle, she's the sweetest chick and has a big explosion of feathers on her feet. I don't know where i got her name from, i think it was my father's idea.
Darla- She is a black white crested polish chick, I'm starting to think she's a cockerel unfortunately, but i named her after my Aunt Darla who still has big blonde hair from the eighties. Darla the chick is sort of insane, it's not her fault i suspected she couldn't see so i trimmed a few of her feathers away and she's a bit better now.
Ginger - i named her after my favorite cookie, she's a very sweet little dark cornish with adorable orange legs. She loves to sunbathe on my shoulder and she dust bathes all of the time, she's very excited about everything and loves being outside and pecking at grass.
one eyed Willy - Willy was my old box turtle, i didn't keep him of course since he wouldn't have thrived in captivity, but my father brought him home one day after he found him on the side of the road. Willy was missing a front leg and an eye. We think the poor guy was attacked by a dog, we nursed him back to health and let him go in the yard, we were careful to limit his contact with people so he'd adjust to the wild again okay. He thrived just living in our yard, i must've had fifteen rescue turtles living out there around this time, and Willy was their king. Willy would come out every morning before i left for school and eat tomatoes out of the garden. Every morning i would go out, give him a kiss and go to school. All of the other turtles left when we stopped gardening but Willy stuck around and I'm pretty sure i found one of his son's last summer (he mated with one of my girls, Jessie, before she left and next summer was the only time i had ever seen a baby box turtle in the yard, it could've been one of the others but I'm inclined to believe that Willy's legacy carries on). I named Willy after the pirate on the Goonies.
Charlie Blue - Blue is my bearded dragon and my first lizard. Blue is just the sweetest, she's like a little lap dog she comes when i call, eats from my hand, and runs up to the wall of her glass tank when i walk in the room. I got her from a pet smart three years ago, she was emaciated and very sick, they sold her to me with coccidia and in the beginning stages of mbd (metabolic bone disease). She's much better now, and is living a happy life with me. I named her after the raptors on Jurassic World, it's been a tradition for us that every year on the anniversary of the day she came to her forever home we watch the movie together.
Hermann - Hermann was my first real pet, he is and eastern hermanns tortoise and eleven year old me decided to name him after his species, sort of like i did with Rooster. Hermann is my little boy, he now lives outside in a big pen next to the chickens, when i let him out to free range he loves chasing the hens but he stays away from Roo, he knows that Rooster doesn't mess around when it comes to protecting his girls.
Roxy Heart- Roxy was my second lizard, she was neglected and was rescued by an animal shelter near me, i got her and she immediately stole my heart and took over the house. Everything i did was for Roxy so i started calling her Queen Roxanne Heart because i was at her beck and call, ready to wait on her hand and foot. A few months after i got her she relapsed during her recovery and became very sick, her bones were like toothpicks and she became egg bound after laying forty eggs. She got surgery, went on medication, basically we paid a lot of vet bills. A few months later one of her kidneys began to fail and she needed a second surgery to fix more internal damage, results from the extreme neglect she was under with her old owner. She ultimately died on August 16th, 2017. Thinking of it that's actually today so i guess it's been one whole year. I don't like to think about the sad parts though, she had almost a whole year with me and it was probably the best year of her life before she got sick, she was a very happy dragon who stole the heart of everybody she met, she's actually the reason my parents gave in and let me get chickens. I was having trouble functioning after she died, there was a huge span of time that in my old routine i spent with Roxy, so without her i didn't know what to do with myself until i got the birds, and now i spend most of my spare time with them.
I also have three hermit crabs, but not the usual hermit crabs you imagine in a small wore cage or something, i didn't get them as souvenirs from a beach i got mine as pets and they live in a forty gallon enclosure with six inches of coconut fiber bedding so they can molt properly, they have a large freshwater dish and a saltwater dish. Their names are Peanut (five year old female), Pippin (also a LotR character, seven year old male) and Puddles (three year old male). they are all Caribbean hermits and they are thriving, i have had Peanut for almost two years now, Pippin for one, and i just rescued Puddles a few weeks ago (never have i seen a crab change shells so quickly and bury himself for a molt, he's the friendliest boy). I used to have a Merry to go with Pippin but he was very sick when i got him and passed a few days later.
thank you for the opportunity to talk about my pets! :ya sorry for the lengthy post :duc

My teen @Purple Rose is so amused by the idea that we are raising little dinosaurs that she insisted this first flock be all named after dinosaurs.

So there's Cera (Triceratops), Steggie (Stegosaurus), and Terri (Pterodactyl) - then when Terri turned out to be a mystery-maybe-Cochin-maybe-rooster? instead of the Leghorn hybrid we'd ordered, we got our black Australorp, Tyra (Tyrannosaurus).

Back
Top Bottom