65 day old BR sex?

Yes they do.

They usually don't hold as long as a tom.

Usually they display for being agitated
Danger or dominence toward another hen.

I found this picture of a young jake and hen - now i understand why its so hard to sex a young turkey by feathers alone. Looking at just the feathers they look just about identical.

Last edited:
I found this picture of a young jake and hen - now i understand why its so hard to sex a young turkey by feathers alone. Looking at just the feathers they look just about identical.

You wouldn't be able to tell anything about feather sexing from this image since it is only the breast feathers that can be used for an indication. As you noted the rest of the feathers do look the same.

Last edited:
I found this... now I turkey hunt and I learned this a long time ago but for some odd reason - I totally forgot about this... so poop in the shape of a J or L = Jake / Tom. Poop in a pile like a snail shell = Hen. So i examained the turkey yard and sure enough there are snail shaped piles and J and L's

Last edited:
73 days old now. I think it's becoming more apparent that I have 1 hen now. 1 of the 5 is so much smaller than the other 4. But I'm still not sure of the other 4.

Last edited:
73 days old now. I think it's becoming more apparent that I have 1 hen now. 1 of the 5 is so much smaller than the other 4. But I'm still not sure of the other 4.

They are starting to get their adult feathers. Because the focus is on the fence instead of on the turkeys it is hard to tell but i suspect that the three on the left are all hens.

I went out and watched my 5 BR for a while. A couple of things noticed.

Two of them appears much more developed than the other 3. They are the biggest, their Wattles, Caruncles and Snood are much more developed. Their heads often turn a dark shade of red and they both have a mean look about them.

Of the other 3, 1 is really small and they don't seem nearly as developed. Especially their Snood which is nothing more than a bump. The other two biggest more developed both have a Snood that's a good 1/4 to 3/8 inch long.

The farm I bought these from said they were form a staggered hatch over 7 days. I bought them as 2 week old poults.

Another picture... the two I colored with a red dot are the biggest and most developed.

Last edited:
Its still just a little early to tell without seeing their behavior, but I want to say your first guess is right. Your first guess is usually correct.

I see 4 little toms and a hen turkey but do let them grow out more before taking my word on that..

Its still just a little early to tell without seeing their behavior, but I want to say your first guess is right. Your first guess is usually correct.

I see 4 little toms and a hen turkey but do let them grow out more before taking my word on that..

Thanks and yeah it's just so difficult to tell at this age. I'll make sure I post again when i know for sure.

My grand daughter loves the "keys" shes not old enough to say turkey yet - just too cute :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom