6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

this is the heating element...there are a couple threads on here about them

Well, color me worried. Maybe this cooling thin isn't for me, lol. We got home earlier and were going out again for a short bit.. (Follow me a minute here)..

Since I just put new eggs in earlier that do NOT need cooling, I just took the others OUT of the bator and put them on the shelf and left. Had my timer on my phone set for 1.5hr but when it went off I was busy so I reset it for another 20 min.

Well of COURSE, while replacing eggs on the turner you're touching them anyway, right? Right.

So, a quick candle and I see barely any movement in most of the eggs.

Now, I remember the power going out once toward the end of a duck hatch and I remember when the eggs were so cool, there wasn't much movement. But all turned out in the end.

So I'm trying to tell myself that was the issue. But I'm SO afraid I've messed up. :cry

The cooling is similar to what a broody does each day.

Try using the cooling every other day for this hatch and see what happens. The eggs do not need to be completely cooled just not incubated. They will not lose that much heat in the eggs after two hours.

The cooling is similar to what a broody does each day.

Try using the cooling every other day for this hatch and see what happens. The eggs do not need to be completely cooled just not incubated. They will not lose that much heat in the eggs after two hours.
THANKS for the reassurance. They were looking so wonderful when incandled the other day.. But thy felt so cool to the touch and then looked so sluggish, my heart just sank. But I did think, well gosh, Mama gets up and does okay.. She doesn't cover them with a blanket lol.

Anyway. Okay. Every other day then.

Okay. Don't fine me because I was dying! BUT I HAD to take a quick peek at the worst-looking egg from earlier, now that they've warmed back up. LOTS of movement. Whew!!

Sorry but I had to. Now I know. And can tell others not to freak about it either. ;)

Hands: OFF.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom