7 Heavenly Hens GARDEN - Coop construction (Wichita Cabin coop inspired)

This will be very interesting, as I'm also building the reversed WCC, but am extending mine to 12'. 1/14th of an acre sounds very similar to my last house on a 0.08 acre lot. Keep up the good work!

This will be very interesting, as I'm also building the reversed WCC, but am extending mine to 12'. 1/14th of an acre sounds very similar to my last house on a 0.08 acre lot. Keep up the good work!

We're going with the same depth but stretched it out to 13'-4" . How far along are you ? How many hens will you have ?

The ground thawed here in STL enough that I could get the pitch forks through the soil to put in the concrete blocks. Everything else is just staged off to the side. Looks like you're 4-6hrs ahead of me at this point. We originally planned for 4 hens, but since the stores wouldn't sell us less than 6.. we have 6. 1 Buff Orpington, 1 easter egg, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 2 Barred Rocks. They're a week old today.

The ground thawed here in STL enough that I could get the pitch forks through the soil to put in the concrete blocks. Everything else is just staged off to the side. Looks like you're 4-6hrs ahead of me at this point. We originally planned for 4 hens, but since the stores wouldn't sell us less than 6.. we have 6. 1 Buff Orpington, 1 easter egg, 2 New Hampshire Reds, 2 Barred Rocks. They're a week old today.
You're right - interesting for both coops getting done at the same time. You're a little more under the gun having your 1 week old chicks already. Our 7 chicks are due to arrive around 4/9/14 - we'll be constructing their brooder too. We have 7 different breeds chosen for our 1st flock; Rhode island Red, Golden laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Barred Plymouth Rock , Easter Egger, Australorp and a Speckeled Sussex. Good luck with your build and I'm sure i'll pose questions if I come across any question. ~Sam

Last edited:
Looks Marvelous
clap.gif
. Keep us updated.

Nice update!

Looks like your coop area is a bit wider than 2'8" between 2x4s.
wink.png

If you mean the "hen-house" when you say"coop area", yes. I went with it being 5'-4" square to allow for more sf/hen than the original WCC design. The short 2x4's still need to go under the floor at the perimeter at front/back like I have installed on the side. The other larger opening on the front next to the hen-house portion is the opening for the dutch-door.

Back
Top Bottom