7 Heavenly Hens GARDEN - Coop construction (Wichita Cabin coop inspired)

If you mean the "hen-house" when you say"coop area", yes. I went with it being 5'-4" square to allow for more sf/hen than the original WCC design. The short 2x4's still need to go under the floor at the perimeter at front/back like I have installed on the side. The other larger opening on the front next to the hen-house portion is the opening for the dutch-door.

Yes, I meant the 'hen-house'
duc.gif

Sure your hens will like it. Double door should really facilitate keeping it clean. Is the house a bit higher off the ground? Going to be fun getting beneath there and cleaning out if it isn't.

Yes, I meant the 'hen-house'
duc.gif

Sure your hens will like it. Double door should really facilitate keeping it clean. Is the house a bit higher off the ground? Going to be fun getting beneath there and cleaning out if it isn't.
The dutch-door will be for access to the run - not settled on the door for the hen-house for cleaning that out just yet. A rake will come in handy for cleaning out the area under the hen-house ( we have sand going into the entire run - for ease of keeping clean overall) The height of the area under the hen-house is the same as the original WCC design.

I'm a new member that really is getting the itch thanx to your posts. I to am wanting to do a WCC inspired coop here in South Texas. I look forward to Monday's 'cause seeing your post from the weekends is like reading another chapter in a good book! Thank you for the great pics!

I'm a new member that really is getting the itch thanx to your posts. I to am wanting to do a WCC inspired coop here in South Texas. I look forward to Monday's 'cause seeing your post from the weekends is like reading another chapter in a good book! Thank you for the great pics!

That's great! I'm glad we're helping you out. we looked into so many coops here on BYC and in books and on so many other places but really feel there are too many pros to the WCC to not pass up on. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel - then there are lots who have done it and improved upon it in their own way. Anyways, we liked and are going with it and making our own small tweeks here and there.
It's actually just one piece to our Urban Homestead journey. If you're interested and want to see the other areas of our plans see our Facebook page and get the big picture at "7 Heavenly Hens GARDEN". Otherwise, we'll keep posting our progress and share it with you - look forward to questions / comments / and anything in between.
~Sam

That is some "egg"cellent work. Great, informative pic's again thanx. Looks like you-all had some weather coming in also.

That is some "egg"cellent work. Great, informative pic's again thanx. Looks like you-all had some weather coming in also.
Thanks. Yeah, the weather was cloudy all afternoon and actually sprinkled a bit as we were wrapping up our day. One of the photos we uploaded was right as the sun was peeking through.

Back
Top Bottom