7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

@MyPetChickenwhen do I need to order my intense colorful eggs to get them here in Joplin Missouri for the Dec 11 egg setting? I don't know anything about doing this.

LL

This is the place! Welcome!

Last edited:
OK to all you experienced Hatchers. How do I increase the odds of getting fertile eggs, or should I be pretty good? I have 14 of my 16 hens of laying age having started over the last few weeks. I think most of them are laying now, but I got a pullet egg this weekend and then my count was up the next day. Anyway, I have a rooster that was 6 months in October and one that was 6 months in early November. Are they old enough? Should I separate a few with one of them for a few days, or should they be mostly fertile. I held back eggs from refrigeration the last couple of days. When is the best time to crack a few to check?

Last edited:
OK to all you experienced Hatchers. How do I increase the odds of getting fertile eggs, or should I be pretty good? I have 14 of my 16 hens of laying age having started over the last few weeks. I think most of them are laying now, but I got a pullet egg this weekend and then my count was up the next day. Anyway, I have a rooster that was 6 months in October and one that was 6 months in early November. Are they old enough? Should I separate a few with one of them for a few days, or should they be mostly fertile. I held back eggs from refrigeration the last couple of days. When is the best time to crack a few to check?
Make sure that they are healthy.

I would say go ahead and crack one open and check. If not fertile then wait a week and crack another.
It takes time for the boy to be accepted by the girls, so you do need to check the eggs at first. Patients is key here--It will happen.

Awesome. I have isabelles that are almost at POL.
To me they are the coolest looking chickens I have seen. I also have a blue and a splash isbar males from gff's 1st import. And several females from different sources of 1st and 2nd imports.

Are Isbars blue egg layers? I think they are neat looking birds.

Back
Top Bottom