7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Now up to 8 Calls and I think 5 Ohiki... :)

Awesome on the ducks. My neighbor has two very tall ducks that stand like a penguin. Is that a runner duck? Often thought of getting eggs if they were a pair. Although I don't know which duck to get. When the pond was functioning I had built a box for some wood ducks. That was fun to see them use it. Never saw them jump or if they even had any. There were eggs and evidence of hatch so I'm assuming they did.

I know!!!! I am feeling pretty excited!!!:yiipchick

:celebrate :jumpy
So happy for you! :highfive:

I'm going into town now so hopefully the pigeon egg will have hatched by the time I get back.

Got a pic of the "daddy" pigeon and the pipped egg

That is awesome and he is pretty!!! :love

Awesome on the ducks. My neighbor has two very tall ducks that stand like a penguin. Is that a runner duck? Often thought of getting eggs if they were a pair. Although I don't know which duck to get. When the pond was functioning I had built a box for some wood ducks. That was fun to see them use it. Never saw them jump or if they even had any. There were eggs and evidence of hatch so I'm assuming they did.

Sounds like runners to me... @TJChickens has runners, I think... might be able to show you a pic to compare? ;)

Research ducks before you decide to get them... it's best to get ones that suit you well... I adore Calls, but they are a bantam duck, fly extremely well and are a much easier target for predators than the larger ducks... plus hatching those is harder too, lol...

:celebrate :jumpy
So happy for you! :highfive:
That is awesome and he is pretty!!! :love
Sounds like runners to me... @TJChickens has runners, I think... might be able to show you a pic to compare? ;)

Research ducks before you decide to get them... it's best to get ones that suit you well... I adore Calls, but they are a bantam duck, fly extremely well and are a much easier target for predators than the larger ducks... plus hatching those is harder too, lol...

Oh boy. Won't be able to have a duck that flies too well. New neighbors are straight from the city. They have tried to put their city ideal home in the country. This is going to be fun, but I don't want to antagonize things too much. As it is their master bedroom complete with deck from second story over looks one of my coops.

I am having a major issue with the humidity on my hatcher.
he.gif
I use a Brinsea Octo 20 Adv EX for my hatcher. The fan needs replacing as it is getting noisy and running a little erratically. I cleaned it well before this hatch, but I guess 4+ years of near constant use has taken it's toll. The humidity was holding well at 65% until the first chick hatched, which generally increases the humidity. Then the reading showed the humidity dropping, even as the humidity pump continued to run. I have unplugged the humidity pump for now. Resetting to factory defaults hasn't helped. I can't find my back-up hygrometer at the moment, but I will pick up another one in a bit when I go out and just control it manually for now. I know I can get a replacement fan, but I don't know if the humidity issue can be fixed without sending it in.
hmm.png
And I don't know how much it will cost to get it fixed. Has anyone sent their incubator back to Brinsea for repairs?

X2 on the vitamins, but you might want check if it is a sticky chick. If it was a little sticky, it may be the eyes are stuck shut. I would not try to open them, but use a q-tip with warm water to carefully clean off the sticky goo.

Good idea. I tried to gently open them but nothing doing. Is Bacitracin ok after washing or just water

Oh boy. Won't be able to have a duck that flies too well. New neighbors are straight from the city. They have tried to put their city ideal home in the country. This is going to be fun, but I don't want to antagonize things too much. As it is their master bedroom complete with deck from second story over looks one of my coops.
You need this sign:

Quote: I would just use plain water.

Ugh, then no Calls... they are super noisy too, lol... Muscovy don't quack per se, but they love to perch... seen them up on a garage and a house roof, lol... Maybe a heavy breed like Rouens? I doubt my girl managed to get her big butt more than 6 inches off the ground and landed 4 ft after liftoff... :gig
You need this sign: I would just use plain water.
Love that sign! X2 on the water... might have to soak it a bit to soften it... wet papertowel helps... I dunno anything on Brinsea, sorry... never used those...

Back
Top Bottom