7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

One of the BCM chicks died!!! :hit I don't know what happened. The chicks were all fluffed out and safe in the brooder. Had to go out this afternoon for several reasons. When we got back I checked on the chicks first thing and a BCM was on its back dead. Everyone else seems good. They are walking around the brooder as if nothing is wrong.

One of the BCM chicks died!!!
hit.gif
I don't know what happened. The chicks were all fluffed out and safe in the brooder. Had to go out this afternoon for several reasons. When we got back I checked on the chicks first thing and a BCM was on its back dead. Everyone else seems good. They are walking around the brooder as if nothing is wrong.

So sorry!
hugs.gif

I have leave both plugs in my incubator, often- for the entire hatch, and have still had good hatch rates. I sometimes have to leave them in to keep the humidity in check, especially this time of the year. We heat with a wood stove, and its very dry in my house right now. I left both plugs in this entire hatch. 15 made it lockdown and 14 hatched. I do have my incubator I use for hatching elevated though (its got a milk cap under each corner) so the bottom vent holes aren't obstructed...

Same here. I've rigged up a device to pump heated fresh moist air into coolerbator and tape holes shut. Doesn't put too much and I can always move tape a little off the holes to regulate

I am having a major issue with the humidity on my hatcher.
he.gif
I use a Brinsea Octo 20 Adv EX for my hatcher. The fan needs replacing as it is getting noisy and running a little erratically. I cleaned it well before this hatch, but I guess 4+ years of near constant use has taken it's toll. The humidity was holding well at 65% until the first chick hatched, which generally increases the humidity. Then the reading showed the humidity dropping, even as the humidity pump continued to run. I have unplugged the humidity pump for now. Resetting to factory defaults hasn't helped. I can't find my back-up hygrometer at the moment, but I will pick up another one in a bit when I go out and just control it manually for now. I know I can get a replacement fan, but I don't know if the humidity issue can be fixed without sending it in.
hmm.png
And I don't know how much it will cost to get it fixed. Has anyone sent their incubator back to Brinsea for repairs?
So sorry. I know first hand about how this feels. Please keep us updated on what happens if you send it back. It is very fortunate you realized what was going on!

Back
Top Bottom