7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Nice Incubator!
Yes, they are generally harder to hatch because of the shell and coating. They have moisture issues and often they are so dark that it is hard to see into them.

If shipping stress is added, you can get very low hatch rates from them.
Thank you for that. Looks like I learned something new today.
Yes they are very hard to see through. "When in doubt - don't take it out". I candled again on day 18 and got one wrong. There was nothing in it, but I just couldn't see it.
Well sounds like my 50 % rate is quite acceptable

@lofuzzy
hugs.gif

Sorry about your finches
They can suddenly die right around a cold snap overnight, don't ask how I know

How cold is a cold snap?

Thanks to you guys I decided to join the New Years hatch-a-long this year, and boy am I glad you did so ;)
Put 20 Black copper marans eggs in my homemade incubater. There were chicks in 11 of those (hard to see with brown eggs).
1 never made it out of the egg. I helped it a little, but it still died.
1 almost died on me, but it's getting better every hour passing by (walking, eating and drinking)
9 are in perfect condition.
So... 50 % hatchrate. Not fantastic, but still pretty good considering the season.

Easter is a early this year, so I'll still have to paint the eggs myself for easter ;)

Here are som pics:

Nice job, congratulations!

Your incubator is really well insulated. My incubator walls are only half that thick.

What do you sell? You are cleeaarr across the country from him...do they do well?

Most of what I sell is in the description on my page...whatever that's called on the bottom of the page here....
Yokel just hatched some bantam EEs from me. They do every bit as good shipping all the way across the country as half way across
big_smile.png
And better than shipping close by because a truck ride for a day or two is way rougher than a smooth flight. Depends more on how many hubs they go through and some of those are bigger and rougher than others.....
As for temp...they are going from a temperate zone into a temperate zone. Won't freeze on the airplane because they have to keep the cargo hold above freezing.

Most of what I sell is in the description on my page...whatever that's called on the bottom of the page here....
Yokel just hatched some bantam EEs from me. They do every bit as good shipping all the way across the country as half way across
big_smile.png
And better than shipping close by because a truck ride for a day or two is way rougher than a smooth flight. Depends more on how many hubs they go through and some of those are bigger and rougher than others.....
As for temp...they are going from a temperate zone into a temperate zone. Won't freeze on the airplane because they have to keep the cargo hold above freezing.

Except the teenage boys, I don't sell those... or dogs...And the husband is free.....

Back
Top Bottom