7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I sure hope so. Every hatch I figure out something wrong with my incubator. The last batch got a 0% (and found out my incubator was 5 degrees off what it was reading)... batch before that I got 2 out of 12.. before that 5 out of 12.... Most people get better with time. I've gotten worse. But I figure you can't get worse than 0%... and I added a million thermometers this time, 2 fans, an auto-turner... I think that's it. And I'm being very strict on myself to only candle on the important days (7,14, and 18). I need to get the hang of this soon. I have expensive eggs coming in March.

Feeling your pain!
hugs.gif
Let's think positively...this time it will be better!

We are due a great hatch and it will be this one! Will be sending good vibes to your little egglings. I've got some special eggs in the bator for this hatch too. Fingers crossed.
fl.gif
Triple checking the temp., quarter turn when candling days 7, 14, and 18 only, obsessively washing hands, look but don't touch the eggs. My first few hatches were the best and it has been downhill since. This is the hatch to reverse the trend. Visualizing lots of fluffy butts. Positive self talk.
yippiechickie.gif

Hey, where are you in Utah?  I never, ever order eggs from the East side of the country, well, at least not the North East.  I will order From GA. and that's it!  I've always had problems with getting eggs from up there in time, or, not at all!  Had one great guy that is well known on here Dick H.  finally just send me chicks after a couple of tries of getting eggs here.   He says, they can't ignore chirping!   Don't order from up there! 
I have found that the mid west is a great place to get eggs from, and some places down south, like AL. Tenn. and Kentucky is good.  So, South East is good.  MO. is good.
Parts of California are good.  Parts of Oregon are good.  Texas is good.  Colorado is good.  New Mexico is good.  Washington is good. Idaho is good.    Nope, I haven't ordered a lot of eggs through the yrs.   :oops:

My eggs shipped from North Carolina to California and arrived very quick. eBay said it would arrive in two days but post office said arrival was a week putting it way past HAL start. They made it under two days. Total shock especially after reading every ones shipping woes. I have been in contact with this seller since May. We have shared many tips which to me is more valuable than the cost of the eggs. Another thing I liked was the amount of roosters they had in their flock. Also the eggs moved fast they would ship 14-18 per week per order. When putting phone number on package for holding at the post office be sure to stop into to post office to let them know they are coming. When I did they told me they don't even watch for information like that on the box. They gladly held them there for me even asking for pictures of the chicks when they hatch!

Feeling your pain!
hugs.gif
Let's think positively...this time it will be better!

We are due a great hatch and it will be this one! Will be sending good vibes to your little egglings. I've got some special eggs in the bator for this hatch too. Fingers crossed.
fl.gif
Triple checking the temp., quarter turn when candling days 7, 14, and 18 only, obsessively washing hands, look but don't touch the eggs. My first few hatches were the best and it has been downhill since. This is the hatch to reverse the trend. Visualizing lots of fluffy butts. Positive self talk.
yippiechickie.gif
I figure, can't get worse :) We can do it!!!

clap.gif

Ok, I'm kind of a leave things alone, and if they are supposed to happen, they will happen type person. Again, this is my first attempt! I was trying a dry hatch, My humidity thin/temperature thing said I was at 34 - 36% humidity, temp at 99.5 - 100. I heard all the horror stories of bad readings, so I bought a second one - digital. It's been in for 2 days, and the temp says 99.5 to 100. But the humidity says it was 16. Original one still says temp 100, humidity 32. So I candled my 11 day olds. There are 30 plus eggs in there. I candled about 18. The air cell looks a LITTLE big on most, REALLY big on 2. There was movement in all but 1. Tomorrow, I will go get a 3rd and hope it matches one of the two. Is it better to error on the humid side, or the dry side at this point? The HAL eggs all have the right size air cell.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom