8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

@lpyrbby hmm... it looks weak, like it's lungs aren't fully developed. All I can think of is to keep reducing the humidity... assuming you don't have anymore external pips... so it can get fresh air. I read somewhere that if the egg was stored too long before setting that the chick can hatch out slimy and weak. When they dry, they dry crusty instead of fluffy.

The kids and I were playing with k'nex this morning. This was mine lol

@lpyrbby hmm... it looks weak, like it's lungs aren't fully developed. All I can think of is to keep reducing the humidity... assuming you don't have anymore external pips... so it can get fresh air. I read somewhere that if the egg was stored too long before setting that the chick can hatch out slimy and weak. When they dry, they dry crusty instead of fluffy.
Fortunately, it's stopped panting. Still breathing heavily and not really moving around a lot. It's starting to at least *try* now but that's about it. It was in a more round egg than the others, but I don't know how old it was. I don't think Tresha would have passed along an old egg, at least not knowingly. It's still got a bit of time. The humidity is down to about 70% now. There's only one egg left in the incubator and it hasn't pipped as far as I can tell. The other two chicks should be ready to move to the brooder soon.

I'll be uploading pics from the big girl camera soon, but I think I'll make my own thread for that. Gonna be a LOT of pics!
gig.gif

The NYD HAL kind of snuck up on me because I wasn't planning on joining but I had some eggs from birds I really needed to hatch so I set late.
I have 2 jumbos due in about 5 hours and 5 more due much later this evening.
No signs of life yet but I did get them in pedigree boxes yesterday and upped the humidity. I'll probably check every few hours.

Last edited:
I have 3 more leghorns that are not even pipped yet 1 brown egg that is pipped thats all for the chickens and 3 duck eggs pipped the rest were dis

The NYD HAL kind of snuck up on me because I wasn't planning on joining but I had some eggs from birds I really needed to hatch so I set late.
I have 1 jumbos due in about 5 hours and 5 more due much later this evening.
No signs of life yet but I did get them in pedigree boxes yesterday and upped the humidity. I'll probably check every few hours.

I hope they hatch for you!

Back
Top Bottom