8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

Wow...that's quite the experiment! Did you explain your experiment earlier? Sounds linteresting!

There are no absolutes...but even outside of my own experiences...I remember reading about someone on here having something like a 75% hatch after taking their duck eggs off for someone for balut. The person didn't show and they eventually put the eggs back on heat. Pretty amazing!
clap.gif

Wow...that's quite the experiment!  Did you explain your experiment earlier? Sounds linteresting!

There are no absolutes...but even outside of my own experiences...I remember reading about someone on here having something like a 75% hatch after taking their duck eggs off for someone for balut. The person didn't show and they eventually put the eggs back on heat. Pretty amazing! :clap

Yes I did read that thread about the ducks. Also I had a 3 hr power outage on my Dec hatches and all hatched so I'm positive thinking on this hatch. Also I did mention my experiment on the Meat Bird Forum. Crosses of Dark Cornish and White Rocks and Buff Orphington with Madisons. All this hatches are their off springs, gonna cull them and keep the largest of both crosses and them breed one with the other, cull the offspring and breed again with another Cornish bloodline.

Yes I did read that thread about the ducks. Also I had a 3 hr power outage on my Dec hatches and all hatched so I'm positive thinking on this hatch. Also I did mention my experiment on the Meat Bird Forum. Crosses of Dark Cornish and White Rocks and Buff Orphington with Madisons. All this hatches are their off springs, gonna cull them and keep the largest of both crosses and them breed one with the other, cull the offspring and breed again with another Cornish bloodline.
I'm constantly amazed at how resilient embryos are!
I have to admit I'm incredibly behind on any meat bird reading. That sounds like a fantastic experiment!
Madisons are a new one on me...lol. There's so much to read on here, seems I never can get close to being caught up...lol.
I wish you the best of success! I'll be keeping an eye out to see your results.
thumbsup.gif

I'm constantly amazed at how resilient embryos are! 
I have to admit I'm incredibly behind on any meat bird reading.  That sounds like a fantastic experiment! 
Madisons are a new one on me...lol. There's so much to read on here, seems I never can get close to being caught up...lol. 
I wish you the best of success!  I'll be keeping an eye out to see your results. :thumbsup

Madisons are a hybrid created by Purley Poultry.

I just got my digital scale and numbered leg bands to start updating weekly the growth of this hatch since I didn't have them when I had my Dec hatches cuz mail was slow for the hilidays, but now I'm ready.

Madison Chickens Details

Madison Chickens are a hybrid chicken that has been bred for sustainable and productive egg and meat production. Beyond their productively, these birds have stunningly gorgeous coloring - with varied patterned feathers and all shades of all colors, no two Madison birds look alike.
We had a hard time thinking up a name for this new type of chicken. And we decided on Madison. We love the name Madison - it reminds us of the Daryl Hannah in the 80's movie, Splash! But it is also the name of the capital of Wisconsin, our closest urban center. We love visiting Madison - it is a beautiful city with tons of diverse cultural and exciting things to do. Madison is also a city that has permitted citizens to raise chickens for a very long time, even when lots of other cities were outlawing them. So we love Madison for that reason as well and decided to name these diverse and exciting chickens after this great city.
You'll only be able to get Madison Chickens from us here at Purely Poultry!
Madison Chickens have red single combs and pretty wattles. Roosters are particularly brilliant in the patterns and colors of their feathers. They are hardy and easy to care for birds, and get along well with other birds and in most farm environments. Madison Chickens would be ideal chickens for homesteads and backyard flocks, for pasture-raising, and for larger production farms. The Madison is a heavier bird, and will not roost more than 1-2 feet off the ground.
Production: Madison Chickens were designed for production, and we promise that they will not disappoint. Females are good layers of large brown eggs and will lay 280-300 eggs annually. Males will reach a marketable weight of 5 pounds or more in about 12-20 weeks. These birds won't have the super-fast growth rate of Cornish Cross but will mature faster than most heritage breeds. Madison Chickens can do well in both pastured environments and more confined settings.
Temperament: Madison Chickens are relatively easy-going but are also active and energetic birds. Their personalities can be quite diverse matching the diversity of their coloring.
History: The Madison Chicken is a newly developed hybrid, bred to introduce strong and healthy new genetics as well as attain great duel production status.
APA Class: Not recognized.
Conservation Status: Not applicable.
Body Type: Madison Chickens are medium-sized chickens - seemingly like a combination of Sussex and Rhode Island Red in general conformation. They are sturdy and upright fowl and do well in all climates.
Weight: Cockerel 4.5 lbs, Pullet 3.5 lbs, Rooster 10 lbs, Hens 7.5 - 8 lbs

Thank you for that info!  Sounds like a nice hybrid.

Are you selecting strictly meat traits? Or will egg laying have any factor in selection process?

The laying factor is already there in the Madisons, they turned out to be heavy eggblaying machines including the fast growth and meaty birds. Can't complain about the Plymouth Rocks either, I just want to add a bit more meat with my Cornish Males. In addition to the mix turned out the Buff is not an Orphimgton after all its a Buff Plymouth Rock according to my dads neighbor former owner. I always thought it was an Orphimgton and always presented it as such but I guess I was wrong and better stop doing so. So actually I have DC/WPR DC/BPR and BPR/Madisos. There's pics of my flock on Meet My Birds For Meat Experiment Thread at the Meat Birds Forum.

Back
Top Bottom